Suspension seatpost on new hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Devonhills

Regular
I’m in the process of buying a new hybrid and I’m undecided if I should get one with a suspension seatpost? Any input of the pros and cons will be much appreciated.
I like the idea of smoothing the ride out and reducing wear and tear on the back, but I wonder if the seat is moving up and down constantly if it would have a detrimental impact on the pedalling motion which could be annoying and would probably cause more wear and tear on the knees etc anyway.
I was looking at the Merida Crossway range which has the Merida TK seatpost.
I like the more upright position of a hybrid and basically want the most comfortable bike I can achieve which I can then ride as hard as I choose. I’m more interested in getting good cardio and enjoying it than out and out performance.
Cheers all.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I had a hybrid with a bouncy seat post once.
I didn't like the bouncy feeling, so I took the spring out, it became a rigid seat post.
I guess it's personal preference.
No doubt useful if you go mountain biking, but I don't.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The height of the seatpost is a critical factor in getting comfortable on a bike for me. Even 5mm difference can lead to aching knees, less power and discomfort.

Having a suspension post that changes my seatpost height every second sounds like a nightmare!

I'll continue to look to tyres to provide suspension.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
had one and it didnt do much that a good tyre/ pressure combination wouldnt sort out most of the time and it was a PITA as it would seize / stick involving a fiddly dismantle job .

OP
OP
D

Devonhills

Regular
Thanks for the replies. All appreciated and taken on board. I am thinking to not use one on re-evaluation.
I don’t like the idea of my pedalling stroke being constantly affected, and maintenance/ long term performance is also a concern.

Top Bottom