Hybrid Bikes £1,500 - £1,600?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
When it sales time they tend to be heavily discounted, I got my bike for £300 less than the RRP. I would advise anyone whos after one to just wait till Sept.
Cannondale make their own frames and the mold is kept just for them. Planet X, Ribble, Dolan ,Beacon Bikes etc are generic open molds.

The way you say, it comes across like Cannondale's frames are drastically different compared to the likes of Planet X, Ribble, Dolan ,Beacon Bikes custom builds etc

part of me instantly thought - "a frame is a frame, It has a seat post, handlebars and wheels attached etc...." but thats not the case. The frames look the same (why shouldnt they?) the only thing i can really think of where Cannondale might have the upper hand is materials used to make the frame or the way the frames are made e.g double or triple butted construction. Neither of the retailers that do custom made bikes are going to give you a bike made with the crappiest & weakest materials known to man to save themselves a few quid. So it all falls down to angling/geometry of the frame and from my point of view, the frame of the CAADX looks more or less exactly the same as the ones used by other retailers on their customs.

Maybe Cannondale test their frames to a higher level than where custom bike builders source their bikes from?? I dont know this, I doubt you or anyone else does either and anyone from Cannondale who says they do without providing proof is obviously talking sh!t because they want you to buy their bikes.

At the end of the day. a bike is a bike, i just swing my leg over and start pedalling. I dont need a Cannondale to be able to do that.

Lots of manufacturers talk about frame geometry & how it does this or that but 99% of it is just marketing spin, the market is saturated with choices and manufacturers & retailers have to find a way to sell frames/bikes and as everyone knows, the more fancy & appealing they make it sound, the more people will buy their bikes. New cyclists in particular will be the ones falling into this hole because they dont know whats good and whats not unless they have a friend who can talk them through everything and help them sort through all the marketing blurb and pick the bike thats right for them.

Same way with my HOY Hybrid - It cost me a stupid amount of money. I could have easily afforded a good CX bike for the money i paid but i had no idea what to look for, The folks down at evanscycles in kings cross where i bought the bike from didnt really care to give me advice on what sort of bike either despite me asking multiple times if this bike was the right bike for me. Despite all this my HOY is still a great bike though and it can fulfil many many functions especially as touring bike and something that can handle rougher terrain. Its not going to get me anywhere fast but it will get me there in the most comfort as possible because thats the kind of bike it is.

tudor_77

Über Member
No there was a real ugly flat bar, they may not do it any more. Any road is a drop bar gravel or adventure bike but still hideous! Even not being black wouldn't save it ;)

Ugh they do, it's this monstrosity. Looks like the same frame but even worse with flat bars xx(

http://www.giant-liverpool.co.uk/en-gb/bikes/model/fastroad.comax/19203/77303/

See, I really struggle with the distinction between a hybrid and a gravel or adventure bike! So many different categories of bikes these days.

Haha, I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder because I quite like that frame as an interesting N+1 to compliment my main roadie, defo prefer the drop bar AnyRoad though.

vickster

Legendary Member
See, I really struggle with the distinction between a hybrid and a gravel or adventure bike! So many different categories of bikes these days.

Haha, I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder because I quite like that frame as an interesting N+1 to compliment my main roadie, defo prefer the drop bar AnyRoad though.
Flat bars vs drops is the distinction for me. I assume the OP is referring to a bike with the former. Hybrid is quite a vague term covering more mtb and more road type bikes. But always flat handlebars, brake levers and usually trigger shifters as opposed to STI brifters

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I dont like it either, I'm not struck on Giant bikes at all even the ones that look o.k. They tend to be good value for money etc, but they just seem really bland and soul less.The womens ones also have really bad colour schemes as well.

What do you mean by bland and soul less? Genuine question - not trying to argue.

The Giant range looks pretty similar to everything else that's available to me as far as spec's and colours go on mainstream ranges.

U

User33236

For once I will agree with you Vickster :eek:
I think the colour adds to the dislike for vickster lol. Someone suggester the Giant to me when I was asking about the Boardman Hybrid Pro but have to agree the Giant is an aquired taste even if it is black ^_^.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not sure how a top performing bicycle could be described as bland and soulless? Sharp and lively, fast and responsive, high performance, is more like it. Better bicycles through science.

Unless you've paid an artisan to hand make your frame then it came from Giants factory, or one just like it, so all Liz is riding is a bland and soulless bike with a different set of decals.

Oh, BTW, Cannondale ended in house frame production in 2009, finally ceasing entirely in 2010. They still do their design and development in house but actual frame production is contracted out overseas to a certain manufacturer in Taichung, Taiwan, who are owned by...Giant! This was surprising at the time as they'd not long invested some big bucks in their own CF production facilities, but clearly felt the business case for Taiwanese production was compelling (they briefly dabbled with production in Vietnam to).

So who's bland and soulless?

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Top Bottom