hybrid buying advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taz6656

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from my trusty Carrera Parva Hybrid in the coming weeks and would really appreciate any advice from people with experience of the following bikes.

Trek DS 2
Giant Roam 2
Cannondale Quick 3/4 or CX 3/4
Specialiazed Sirrus 3.0
Whyte Malvern V3

I probably ride 50% road and 50% towpaths, woodland paths, disused railway trails like Downs Link.

Need a hybrid due to the more upright seating position. Used to having 27.5 x 1.95” Continental Double Fighter tyres on my Parva and they handle really well But appreciate tyre size will be smaller on whichever new bike I go far so keen to here how they handle on various surfaces.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Andy

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you wish to change? You have a mix of bikes with and without suspension, what’s your thinking?

OP
OP
T

taz6656

Why do you wish to change? You have a mix of bikes with and without suspension, what’s your thinking?
Hi Vickster, thanks for replying. I’ve gone from just cycling to the station for work to weekly rides on terrain mentioned above since the pandemic started and now looking to upgrade to something a bit quicker and lighter.
I’ve been to Evans who were fantastic and tried a handful of hybrids with the Trek DS2, Cannondale Quick 3 and Specialized making the cut. Still waiting for the Whyte and Roam to come in stock to try. The Cannondale and Specialized were by far the most comfortable to ride but obv top of my budget. I thought lockout suspension may be useful when on towpaths but having read a lot of posts the general consensus seems to be they add weight to hybrids and generally aren’t needed?
I just thought it would be great to get some advice from people with far more experience than me so welcome any help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster, thanks for replying. I’ve gone from just cycling to the station for work to weekly rides on terrain mentioned above since the pandemic started and now looking to upgrade to something a bit quicker and lighter.
I’ve been to Evans who were fantastic and tried a handful of hybrids with the Trek DS2, Cannondale Quick 3 and Specialized making the cut. Still waiting for the Whyte and Roam to come in stock to try. The Cannondale and Specialized were by far the most comfortable to ride but obv top of my budget. I thought lockout suspension may be useful when on towpaths but having read a lot of posts the general consensus seems to be they add weight to hybrids and generally aren’t needed?
I just thought it would be great to get some advice from people with far more experience than me so welcome any help.
Your existing bike will be quicker with lighter, thinner, less knobbly tyres :okay:
but if you want a new bike, get the one that makes you smile. If buying a big brand, like for like spec will cost about the same. If one is more expensive, probably because it has better, lighter components :okay:

Top Bottom