Hybrid for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
You need to ride a bike to get the feel for it & TBH, Halfords aren't the best people to use when fitting you to a bike.

Go to a decent bike shop & see what they've got & what size they suggest.

If your budget is low, then the bikes at the LBS will probably be out of your price range. but you can still get a feel for size, comfort & general feel.

Once you've ridden a demo bike, try the Carrera (if they will let you) & you'll see what the difference is.

I have a Marin Muirwoods 29er but I tested 2 other Marin hybrids before buying the Muirwoods since it was such a nice bike to ride compared to the others.

If the bike fit is wrong you won't enjoy riding it & the commute will be a drag rather than an enjoyable experience.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
For the distance you are planning I would suggest a higher budget or go second hand to get a better components, if you are doing 60+ miles a week you will quickly wear out cheap components. Buy cheap, buy twice, it is a false economy...

bauldbairn

I've recently bought an 8 speed Revolution Courier Classic from the Edinburgh Bike Coop for £250(in the July sale). Covered 1500 miles with no reliability probs - simple cheap bike with reasonable quality parts - would recommend it as a commuter. A friend has just managed to pick up a brand new Cannondale Badboy for £330, a nice looking bike - again with good quality components.
Just another couple of suggestions of cheap affordable(depending on your budget) commuter bikes, for you to consider.
I agree with HJ(Auld Reekie) - if you buy too cheaply you'll have to pay more in the long run - for repairs/replacements. So don't rush into buying a bike cause it's cheap it may be a false economy!!!!! Have a look around.

ingenuitylee

I have one of these and have been commuting 10 miles a day on it 5 days a week for the last month or so and it’s handled it ok Although I did pay £240 for mine I was pleased with the spec for the money. The disc brakes handle well in the rain (and there has been a lot) and the wheels have stood up to some pretty severe pot holes and a raised grid at about 30mph that I didn’t see until I hit it!

I think you’ll be well pleased with it for £160. The only complaints I have about it are that the gearing is a little low. I don’t even use the first ring and I have a severe hill on my commute so it effectively reduces the usable gears from 21 to 14. I also find the handlebar position can grate a bit on a climb but I’m hoping some bar ends will solve this problem.

The most I’ve had to do to it so far is just tighten everything up. Also, depending on the Halfords store it won’t have been set up very well. My rear mech adjustment screw was stripped and when the mech was replaced the chain was threaded incorrectly (seriously).

Top Bottom