Hybrid handlebar mod for carpal tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sawbonz

Just retired and bought my 1st bike in 30 years. REI CTY 1.3 specs Will be riding on paved bike paths and residential streets for exercise/enjoyment. Usual distance has been around 8 to 12 miles. I live in Knoxville, TN so it's a very hilly. I have had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome managed non-surgical. I have a good pair of biking gloves and the bike comes with a comfort grip. Already tried changing the stem. From what I read I think i need to change the flat handlebars to a riser. But also have read about adding spacers. I sat on the bike and had my wife measure the distance from the current grip to my hand when I sat up to where I felt comfortable. Not sure how else to try to estimate the needed rise. So it seems I need about 2.5" to 3" rise. I am 6' 1" tall; inseam is 32"; wear a 35" sleeve; distance between AC joints is 14". Found a few possibilities Atomlab 75mm rise --- Deity 50mm rise --- Kore 65mm rise Since the existing handlebar is aluminum I wanted to keep the same material. And matte black for cosmetic reasons.
But before I spend wanted to check if this seems reasonable and avoid a mistake. Are there unintended consequences from raising the handlebar this much? How much can I raise the handle bar with spacers? Are there any different effects on overall body position from spacer vs handlebar? All of these handlebars seem to be for mountain bikes and are very wide. My understanding is that you can fairly easily cut/shorten an aluminum bar? Any other recommendations?

First off, welcome!
Second, have a poke around the site until you've made, I think, 5 posts, then put up some pictures of the bar setup. Or link to a photo hosting site.
If the setup uses an A-head set, and the stem clamp is on the top of the stack, then spacers are out; the only way is down! Stems and the bar shape are probably the way to go.

PK99

Legendary Member
Just retired and bought my 1st bike in 30 years. REI CTY 1.3 specs Will be riding on paved bike paths and residential streets for exercise/enjoyment. Usual distance has been around 8 to 12 miles. I live in Knoxville, TN so it's a very hilly. I have had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome managed non-surgical. I have a good pair of biking gloves and the bike comes with a comfort grip. Already tried changing the stem. From what I read I think i need to change the flat handlebars to a riser. But also have read about adding spacers. I sat on the bike and had my wife measure the distance from the current grip to my hand when I sat up to where I felt comfortable. Not sure how else to try to estimate the needed rise. So it seems I need about 2.5" to 3" rise. I am 6' 1" tall; inseam is 32"; wear a 35" sleeve; distance between AC joints is 14". Found a few possibilities Atomlab 75mm rise --- Deity 50mm rise --- Kore 65mm rise Since the existing handlebar is aluminum I wanted to keep the same material. And matte black for cosmetic reasons.
But before I spend wanted to check if this seems reasonable and avoid a mistake. Are there unintended consequences from raising the handlebar this much? How much can I raise the handle bar with spacers? Are there any different effects on overall body position from spacer vs handlebar? All of these handlebars seem to be for mountain bikes and are very wide. My understanding is that you can fairly easily cut/shorten an aluminum bar? Any other recommendations?

You want these>>>>
Allow multiple hand positions and reduce pressure

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product-details.html?a=griffe&anr=42410065&s=gptouring

figbat

Slippery scientist
Your approach appears sound, but you may have to lengthen your brake and gear cables/pipes if you go for a dramatic rise. You can get some rise and reposition of the bars with a different stem.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Welcome!

You may want to try different gloves.

I bought some cheap padded gloves off ebay and took a while to realise they made the situation worse for me.

Thin Gore mitts work a treat for me.

I changed my flats to On One Mary which have more sweep than most riser bars. Add some Ergon grips and it is about as comfortable as flats get.

Top Bottom