Hybrid or drop bar bike advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
firewall

firewall

What about a road bike with a double clanger with a 46 tooth large chainring which would make it a bit easier on the legs ?
it would be easier for sure

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All you need is a decent quality 90's hybrid like this cro-moly steel framed Pioneer. Mudguards, rack, and 48/38/28 triple chainset came as standard.

Cheap to buy secondhand if you keep your eyes open, and the bike is ready to go as is - without needing to faff around buying and fitting things like mudguards on modern hybrids that don't come with them as standard. Hybrids are not inherently slow so long as the tyres aren't of the knobbly/draggy variety. Mine runs on 38 mm Schwalbe Marathons which can cope with poor surfaces and they roll well. My drop bar bikes are slightly faster, and a bit lighter than my hybrids, but they aren't as practical for utility use.
I do not choose bikes based on the speeds that other cyclists may choose to ride at. I ride at a speed that suits me, and I ride bikes that I find to be comfortable and practical.

snorri

Legendary Member
mates who use drop bars have offered invite for rides. They are much fitter than me & they travel far on drop bar bike!
So what do I do, buy a hybrid and build up road strength/ fitness slowly & at some stage buy another bike, a drop bar,
or do I jump in and try drop bar bike to match the mates ?
Buy a hybrid, perhaps you could find a second hand one. Best to ignore these "mates", they have probably been cycling drop bars for years and have forgotten the wonders and versatility of hybrids.
Build up your fitness with lots of short runs, don't be thinking of distance covered, use time on the bike as a measure of your progress, ie how long you can cycle without suffering.
I've just checked, I bought my hybrid in '96 and haven't considered moving to drop bar...................yet:okay:.

Edit.... @SkipdiverJohn has just posted a photo of what looks like my bike, although I don't recognise the gate^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
firewall

firewall

Thank you all, what a great forum this is. I am now thinking the hybrid is the way to go, 32mm tyres & some flexibility in the gears.
I think this gives me a chance to see if cycling is for me as well as allow room for some kind of fitness eventually.
The second hand route with a decent quality 90's hybrid sounds great but I would not have a clue regarding what to look for nor what models to select. LOL
Looking to choose between Giant Escape 3 & Trek 1, I don't think there is any difference so if thats the case which ever is cheapest will suit me fine.
Think the Giant is slightly cheaper.

Thank you all, what a great forum this is. I am now thinking the hybrid is the way to go, 32mm tyres & some flexibility in the gears.
I think this gives me a chance to see if cycling is for me as well as allow room for some kind of fitness eventually.
The second hand route with a decent quality 90's hybrid sounds great but I would not have a clue regarding what to look for nor what models to select. LOL
Looking to choose between Giant Escape 3 & Trek 1, I don't think there is any difference so if thats the case which ever is cheapest will suit me fine.
Think the Giant is slightly cheaper.
There is a Julian House charity cycle shop in Trowbridge that sell 2nd hand cycles. That is where I bought my Dawes Double Blue .

OP
OP
firewall

firewall

Escape 3 2019, https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/escape-3 all cable on the outside same as Trek FX 1 ,
price of each bike not that much different, unless anyone knows cheaper price for Giant Escape 3 £288, subject to Large size being available ,
Trek FX 1 £350.

For a basic bike don't think theres much wrong with these. I'm always willing to listen to better advice from more experienced people.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Edit.... @SkipdiverJohn has just posted a photo of what looks like my bike, although I don't recognise the gate^_^

That is a 1997 model Pioneer Jaguar, almost top of Raleigh's range at the time. Only the 21 speed model had better spec, but I actually prefer the 18 speed version because 6 speed freewheels are cheap & plentiful and the deep blue colour is nicer, IMHO. It's a good comfortable ride, and you could probably even use it as a Tourer if you wanted.

The second hand route with a decent quality 90's hybrid sounds great but I would not have a clue regarding what to look for nor what models to select.

Think of bikes as a steel frame with a load of components bolted to them. The frame is the most important bit in terms of material, geometry and sizing - because you can't change anything about it.
Hybrids generally had very similar, if not identical mechanical parts to the MTB's of the same era, the main difference being having 700c wheels not 26". Just like current bikes, component spec mostly varied with price, according to the target customer market for each bike - but most of it is still interchangeable regardless.
If you buy a Raleigh Pioneer, Falcon Explorer, any of the Trek 700 series models, or a Ridgeback, you are not going to get a bad bike in any case. It boils down to mechanical condition, and personally I have found a lot of bikes don't actually get ridden very much once bought, so it's quite possible to pick up used examples that may be over 25 years old yet still be cosmetically and mechanically in virtually as-new condition, but at a tenth of their new price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom