Hybrid or Mountain Bike, Carrera Crossfire 2 or Carrera Hellcat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardc1983

Hello everyone, new member here from the UK.

Haven't cycled since I was in my early teens, I am in my late 30s now, 6ft 2 and have a bad back. Weigh 17 stone and need to get some weight off. Will be mainly cycling along the local roads which are not in the best of condition and pavements down and uphill to get to the canal and river paths to generally get fit and lose weight. I want something that will be comfortable and forgiving with my height and weight.

Been doing lots of research online and had kind of decided on a hybrid and was going with the Carrera Crossfire 2 from Halfords: https://www.halfords.com/bikes/bike...mens-hybrid-bike-2020---red-large-345742.html

My other options were the Carrera Hellcat Mountain bike also from Halfords: https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...mountain-bike-2020----black-large-346910.html or the Carrera Vengeance: https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...-mens-mountain-bike---black-large-340918.html they are reviewed a little here... https://off.road.cc/content/buying/...out-the-carrera-2020-mountain-bike-range-5977

I had even tried looking at 2nd hand but seems private sellers are putting a Covid tax on bikes and you do not know what you are getting. I don't want to have to be paying out for it repairing. I also tried local independent shops that also upcycle bikes but as expected all had nothing in. Tried Evans and they were not very helpful at all and wouldn't let you in the store for advice.

However, after putting the hybrid in my basket it then went out of stock and Halfords have no idea when it will be back in stock and I want to get something to enjoy the rest of summer and hopefully get some weight off.

Today I have managed to purchase the Hellcat (although it's going to be a round trip to collect it) I am told it will be fine for what I want and will give me the opportunity to get back into cycling.

Do you think I have made a reasonable choice given that I haven't really had one.

At this price point, anything with a suspension fork is not good value, just added weight. Had you not already pulled the trigger, I'd have suggested a rigid fork hybrid. Lighter, one less thing to go wrong. Your bad back won't notice the difference (got the t-shirt on that one...).
As you've bought it, one of the things that would make riding it easier is to change the inevitable big knobbly tyres for something a little narrower and smoother, and with some puncture resistance. Have a look around the Schwalbe site for your rim size once you get it. they are 622mm rims, so you want to be looking at 28" on that site, probably between 32 and 40mm size. You can get big slicks that are the same 50mm + that the MTB tyres are, but a bit narrower is also a bit lighter.

OP
OP
R

richardc1983

At this price point, anything with a suspension fork is not good value, just added weight. Had you not already pulled the trigger, I'd have suggested a rigid fork hybrid. Lighter, one less thing to go wrong. Your bad back won't notice the difference (got the t-shirt on that one...).
As you've bought it, one of the things that would make riding it easier is to change the inevitable big knobbly tyres for something a little narrower and smoother, and with some puncture resistance. Have a look around the Schwalbe site for your rim size once you get it. they are 622mm rims, so you want to be looking at 28" on that site, probably between 32 and 40mm size. You can get big slicks that are the same 50mm + that the MTB tyres are, but a bit narrower is also a bit lighter.

Thank you for replying... I could always cancel it if need be but no where else has anything in stock. I am in the West Yorkshire area. The Hybrid and the Mountain Bike Carrera are the same weight on the listing. When I say bad back I had spinal surgery a few years ago and told to get out there and strengthen it up. In terms of punctures the listing states: Puncture Proof Tyres: 2.2” wide tyres designed with an extra Kevlar layer with reduced risk from punctures.

The specification also says that the suspension is adjustable to give a firmer or softer ride dependant on upon where you are going.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Totally out of stock for the entire West Yorkshire :sad:
i just got a new bike today from them and when i tried to order it was a case of keep looking for when stock comes in, luckily after a week i managed to order one and collected today .Its not the shops fault as i gather they are all suffering shortages ATM with covid sales going through the roof at this price point .

OP
OP
R

richardc1983

i just got a new bike today from them and when i tried to order it was a case of keep looking for when stock comes in, luckily after a week i managed to order one and collected today .Its not the shops fault as i gather they are all suffering shortages ATM with covid sales going through the roof at this price point .

Yes it's crazy how everyone wants a bike lol but good in a way if people are going to get out and about.

I have been trying for weeks. I have decided on the large frame as I am between Large and Xlarge frames but thought X large would be too big as I am 32" inside leg.

vickster

Legendary Member
The mountain bike will be fine, as above get some slicker tyres for itif you find i too hard work on roads.
You can always add a more road oriented bike to the stable once availability improves and keep the MTB for off-road play :okay: (or just sell it on)

I wouldn't wait 3 months for a bike and miss out on the summer. It'll be harder to get into it once the days shorten and weather worsens :ph34r:

OP
OP
R

richardc1983

The mountain bike will be fine, as above get some slicker tyres for itif you find i too hard work on roads.
You can always add a more road oriented bike to the stable once availability improves and keep the MTB for off-road play :okay: (or just sell it on)

I wouldn't wait 3 months for a bike and miss out on the summer. It'll be harder to get into it once the days shorten and weather worsens :ph34r:

Was thinking the same but at the same time don't want to be having to change tyres so hoping that I get on with it well.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi Richard, :welcome: to the forum.

Good luck with the MTB. I have to tell you cycling alone won't get the weight off, you need to combine it with s sensible eating regime, one which suits you. I'm sure you know that already but I thought I'd just make the point.
You'll find the cycling tough at first so don't do too much, build up slowly. If you find it uncomfortable get some padded cycling shorts, they really help.
Have fun and enjoy the bike.

DRM

Guru
Welcome to the forum, indeed that will get you out & about riding, and is certainly suitable for going along the canal, hopefully this bl**dy weather will sort it's self out up here for you to get out on it.

Top Bottom