Hybrid/Road bike dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Longshot

I can't believe I'm even considering this but I'm finding myself regretting my decision to buy a hybrid and wishing I'd gone for a road bike. I used to C2W scheme to buy my first new bike for many, many years in February and, to be fiar, have been very pleased with my choice of Specialized Sirrus Elite. It's very much a road going hybrid and it's not ridiculously heavy, but...

I'm wondering if I should have bought a full on road bike instead. I don't go off road and I'm getting a taste for speed (don't laugh - it seems quick to me) so wonder if i would be better changing rides, despite the fact I would lose a fair bit of cash by changing.

For those of you in the know, how much better off in terms of performance, speed, etc would I be if I switched my bike for say a Triban 3?

Lee_M

Guru
Can't you just wait until February and then apply for the c2w scheme again and have both?

Cyclist33

Keep the sirrus with some cyclocross tyres on it, for pootles and paths, and get a road bike if you like, didn't work for me, I didn't like the drop andlebar and can get pretty fast on my hybrid, you should be able to get a sirrus elite to go pretty damn quick too...

Stu

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt you'll get much more speed from a roadbike than a Sirrus - I have just made the same change. Why not put narrower tyres on the Sirrus and perhaps lighter wheels. I'd keep the Sirrus for the winter at leastand then consider a road bike in the spring - you won't be wanting to go so fast when it's wet and dark, only now because the sun is shining

A thought - under C2W are you actually permitted to sell the bike while you are still paying for it - as technically it's not actually yours yet?! I know if it were stolen, you'd still be responsible for paying it off

MarkF

Guru
Agree with others, keep the Sirrus when you get the road bike, maybe put a rack on it, I use mine for towpaths and shopping, I've recently bought my first road bike but can't see how one bike could satisfy all my requirements.

OP
OP
Longshot

Longshot

Thanks for the advice all. I'm minded to stick with the Sirrus at least until next year.

Vickster - I'm probably not allowed to sell it under C2W rules but I work for a very small company and could do it without any problem as long as I kept making the payments.

Cyclist33

Except that would be committing fraud.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Generally a road bike will not be that much better than a road-orientated hybrid.
Where a road bike will help is longer distances and more competitive riding, i.e. Sportives and some Audaxes. I'd say wait until the road bike becomes N+1 rather than as a replacement. Certainly if you get the Triban you will miss the better build and quality of the Specialized Sirrus Elite.

kedab

Veteran
ahhh, the old got a hybrid as was unsure aboot the roadie dilemma :smile: i did the same tbh. got a lovely road going hybrid and after 1 year, wanted a roadie. my reasoning behind the hybrid was that, at the time, i was commuting by bike cos i had to and a roadie didn't seem the way to go for that purpose...however, i started to properly love the commute and was getting, 'well jel' of the lovely roadies (their bikes, not the people), i was seeing every morning. this despite my hybrid being one of the prettiest bikes you'll see imho. (2011 giant cityspeed). so...i got my tcr a month or so ago...wow wow wee wa! i'm now not just commuting and the days i feel lazy (this morning) and just jump in the car, i don't feel bad cos i know i'm going to be out for a quick burn when i get home tonight. i have become rather obsessed with cycling, much to the wife's confusion.

MarkF

Guru
Certainly if you get the Triban you will miss the better build and quality of the Specialized Sirrus Elite.

Hhmm, the road bike I've just acquired is the Triban 3 and nothing, short of a supermarket BSO, could have rivalled my Sirrus in poor build quality.

Agree with others, keep the Sirrus when you get the road bike, maybe put a rack on it, I use mine for towpaths and shopping, I've recently bought my first road bike but can't see how one bike could satisfy all my requirements.

1 bike will never satify requirements. Currently considering a 3rd each because we are missing not having mountain bikes, previously only had an off-road touring bike each, but don't want to lock £2,500 of bike up in an insecure location, so need something to commute on, hence road bike, and now missing not having a mountain bike as well (which is what we had before we went on 12 month tour). What stops us? easy ££££...

Top Bottom