Hybrid to road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
well this is my first time here, just stumbled across you all, as I was doing some research :smile:

So a bit of background to my questions:
Currently, my wife and I cycle during the summer, and go walking in the winter.
We both ride hybrids, just leisure cycling, 25-30 miles, and we always stop somewhere for a picnic.

I have just retired (I am 60, in case that affects the answers), just before the damn virus!!
I am looking to buy a a road bike, to go out with the mid week CTC group who describe themselves as a moderate group (so I need to get a bit fitter ha ha)
So I can ride a bit more, go a bit further, and fr the social side as well.

So I want to buy from a local bike shop, and prior to all this I did a first visit to all the shops, we are lucky we have:
AW cycles
Berkshire cycles
Evans
Cycle republic
Halfords

After chatting to them all in general terms, AW Cycles seem to be be cyclists, and they offer a "fitting" service

So at last my question:
A fitting service offered with all new bikes seems a sensible idea.......or do you think that a good bike shop can correctly size you from looking at you sat on a bike?

The bikes I am looking at:
Giant Contender SL 2 Disc
Giant Contender SL 1 rim braked
Whyte Dorset
Prehaps, not sure...Bianchi Via Nirone sora
If I do not buy from them:
Orbea H40

So, I thought I would pop over, and see what you guys thought, as my experience is a bit limited.....
Cheers Alex

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Amac and welcome to the forum.
Can’t comment on the specific models you mentioned except to say you should go with discs. I would strongly suggest you go with your local shop, if anything goes wrong or you need support you’ll appreciate their help. The bike fit will pay dividends in terms of comfort so well worth having.
Cycle Republic are no more but was part of Halfords which has a rather hit and miss reputation.
If you can try before you buy that would help you.
Good luck.

I wouldn't say you should go with disc, I wouldn't say you shouldn't either. Disc brakes they more consistent braking across all weather and won't wear out your rim but they are harder so set up and maintain and noisier but hey ho its simply your choice. I'd agree with all cycleops other points, good luck :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There’s one thing I missed in your post. Reading your it again it seems you might think a “bike fit” is a way a dealer might suggest the correct size for you, it’s not, it’s taking a correct size bike and “fitting” it or tailoring it to your specific dimensions. Correct me if I’m wrong.

OP
OP
A

Amac

Hi guys,
Thanks for getting back to me and your views that is great.
@Cycleops - yes, my question was, which I think you have answered, that is a bike "bike fit" service worth having (which I think it is) or was it a bit of a gimmick, and most shops can see what size you need.
But as you explained, and that makes sense its about getting the actual bike right for you.
As I am coming from a more upright hybrid, and perhaps I am not as flexible as I was in my younger years ha ha, it would seem sensible to do.

@Steve - yes my plan just before all the virus kicked off, was to ride out and meet some of the guys form the CTC. On a tue they post a pub where they might for lunch.

I am busy now on my hybrid just trying to get my average speed up, to make sure I can keep up with the moderate group :smile:

@biggs - do you think you can feel much of a difference in bikes, with a short ride up the street, I am not sure if I know enough to feel which one is right.....guess I will not till I try...

Any how cheers for all your comments.

Top Bottom