Hybrid tyre advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drkash

Hi all,
Looking for some advice please. I bought a Whyte Shoreditch hybrid bike 2 years ago and it came with Vittoria Zaffiro 32c tyres. They are now needing to be replaced and I would like advice on the best tyre for my needs.

I cycle maybe 30-60km per week in the summer months. 80-90% road cycling but do cycle off road at times with the kids - on gravel, cobblestones, canal paths with varied surfaces, grass etc with the kids. My main priority is trying to improve my speed when road cycling and also avoiding punctures.

The Zaffiro's have been fine for me, no punctures and I have been able to ride on all sorts of terrain so far. I however don't have any tyres to compare them to so don't know if there is a better alternative to suit my needs? I don't want to spend a lot on the tyres, something mid range would be ok. Hoping the experts can advise! Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re happy with the Zaffiros, stick with them. They’re very reasonable to buy too
Or go up a level to the Rubinos

OP
OP
D

drkash

Thanks for the replies. What is the benefit of the Schwalbe Marathons over the Vittoria Zaffiro / pro?

Gwylan

Veteran
+1 for Schwalbe Marathons
Cannot compare with others, except the dire WTB that came with my bike as original equipment.
My experience is the Schwalbe are reliable and durable for my street and trail cycling.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've also had good results from Marathons. Marathon Pluses have an even greater puncture resistance but are absolute barstewards to mount and a fair bit heavier.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Get some more of the tyres you’ve been using and are happy with. They fit the criteria you gave.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
Thanks for the replies. What is the benefit of the Schwalbe Marathons over the Vittoria Zaffiro / pro?
My main priority is trying to improve my speed when road cycling and also avoiding punctures.
The Marathons will be a bit heavier and slower than the zaffiros, but have more puncture protection.

given you havent had an issue so far on that front with the Zaffiros, I'd advocate more of the same...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As others have a said. If the Zaffiro's have been fine for you, then stick with the same. They're not a bad tyre.
Marathon's will be like riding through treacle compared.

I'd recomend what I've been on Continental Contact Plus for a few years, before that I was on Schwalbe Marathons. The CCPs are heavy but have been completely puncture proof in all that time. The sizes on their site confuse me so this is a link to the ones I have: Ebay.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've had great experiences under similar circumstances with Continental Sport Contact II; which are now discontinued but I believe are very similar to the current Contact Speed.

They roll very well on the road and are pretty decent off-road as long as you're sensible. Great in the dry (gravel, hard-packed mud, grass at a push), unsurprising not so hot in the wet since they're essentially slicks.

They've worn well and while I've had punctures I can't really fault the tyres as they've usually been thanks to dropping down holes, hitting the edges of rocks or running over really nasty thorns. I think anything that would have mitigated these failures would have had terrible rolling resistance / not a lot of compliance.

I paid very little for my original pair but will probably put my hand in my pocket for the Contact Speeds at £25ea as this is still relatively little compared to many more trendy tyres and I'm very impressed with my experience so far :smile:

Top Bottom