Hyde To Manchester - Offroad ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Ok so I am upgrading the Surosa this weekend and a couple of the parts dont fit, this means I am gonna be on the MTB for most of next week,

now I can either stick some slicks on it, OR I can go off road,

I know the Canal goes most of the way into Manchester, but does anyone know where it stops ? or is there a better "off road" route I should look at ?

Thanks

mancaus

Ok so I am upgrading the Surosa this weekend and a couple of the parts dont fit, this means I am gonna be on the MTB for most of next week,

now I can either stick some slicks on it, OR I can go off road,

I know the Canal goes most of the way into Manchester, but does anyone know where it stops ? or is there a better "off road" route I should look at ?

Thanks

You can head South onto the Trans Pennine Trail, even along the high peak canal if you don't mind going where you're not officially meant to (can be muddy), and then West to Reddish. Once there there's a short on-road cycle route to the Fallowfield loop, which can take you into town via Sport City and the Canal. I've only used the canal from there... not sure how well it works all the way out to Hyde. Find TPT routes on sustrans.org.uk.

For a longer route at Reddish Value follow the TPT to Tiviot Dale (good hills if you go the right way) and then west along the Mersey through Chorlton and Sale water parks and come in along the Bridgewater canal. After some effort I managed to make it to Castlefield off-road. Watch out for Geese.

None of it is fully off road though.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
You can head South onto the Trans Pennine Trail, even along the high peak canal if you don't mind going where you're not officially meant to (can be muddy), and then West to Reddish. Once there there's a short on-road cycle route to the Fallowfield loop, which can take you into town via Sport City and the Canal. I've only used the canal from there... not sure how well it works all the way out to Hyde. Find TPT routes on sustrans.org.uk.

For a longer route at Reddish Value follow the TPT to Tiviot Dale (good hills if you go the right way) and then west along the Mersey through Chorlton and Sale water parks and come in along the Bridgewater canal. After some effort I managed to make it to Castlefield off-road. Watch out for Geese.

None of it is fully off road though.

Sounds like fun...got any .gpx files ? or map my ride links ?

Thanks

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I don't have anything mapped. opencycle is good for these routes, but not entirely accurate. For example, the TPT doesn't go up Tiviot Way like shown on that map, but follows a track along the River Tame.

Signposting's very good though.

Ended up going down the Canal, added about 3 miles more and about 10 stone of mud by the end, was good fun tho, shame someone nicked the shower from work !!!!!!!

Top Bottom