Hydration...how much to drink...does it make any difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koga

Great article and it makes sense to me. In my younger days nobody cared about drinking, say during a football match, the best you could hope for was a cupper at half time. I used to be out the entire afternoon playing sport, all without a drink. I never felt any consequences in doing so. This is in contrast with what I see nowadays where children are almost forced to drink during matches at every opportunity (read dead moments).
Do not get me wrong you do need to drink and certainly if you cycle at pace over longer periods you need to be aware of that (and probably include electrolytes).

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I am very conscious about drinking more water and i usually manage 2 litres a day however i am now up to 70 mile trips on my bike which has 2 water holders, both filled each cycle, and i am lucky if i actually want to finish one by the end of the ride. So i did a little test. On one ride, the same distance and route as a previous trip out, i made sure every hour i had a good drink. I have to say it did not seem to make any difference to my riding capability. Not scientific i know.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I take two bottles on rides, each with one electolyte tab in. On longer rides this summer I was drinking both and on hot days i had drunk a litre before i left to pre hydrate. As it cools down i drink a lot less. I do feel better when i drink, and when i dehydrate i can feel a noticeable difference in performance. I also have to be aware of hydration because I dont want a repeat of the three kidney ops i went through to get a right pig of a stone out ten years ago...trust me thats worth drinking 5 litres a day for lol!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I found it quite interesting too. Been advised 2 litres minimum each day and I'm resting, recovering from 2nd bout of rhabdomyolysis, so the fluids are flushing my kidneys to protect them. That said, between bouts my physio advised 2 bottles on the bike, one with electrolytes, one without, and to hydrate both pre and post ride. If it stops a 3rd bout of rhabdo', I'll continue with 2 litres a day.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Now this may sound total nonesense but if my urine is Dark, which is a sign of dehydration I usually dont feel at my best. Once I drink enough and my urine goes pale, I feel much better. This is not just during cycling but in my day to day life.

It may all be in my head but it works for me and is easy to monitor.

Steve

uclown2002

Guru
Now this may sound total nonesense but if my urine is Dark, which is a sign of dehydration I usually dont feel at my best. Once I drink enough and my urine goes pale, I feel much better. This is not just during cycling but in my day to day life.

It may all be in my head but it works for me and is easy to monitor.

Steve
:popcorn:

I have two water bottles and I have a drink every 30 minutes .
on a hot day every 15 minutes.
I have A good drink pre ride, then good drink once I am
back home

Top Bottom