Hydration pack on back of neck?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nevica

Hello,

I have just seen David Millar win the TT at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

I noticed that he was using a hydration pack which was situated what seems to be behind his neck.

Does anybody know what hydration pack he might have been using?

I presume that David was saving weight (ie Bottle cage + bottle is heavier than hydration pack material and tube).

Any thoughts, pointers. Are these confotable to wear or is David the first to do this?

Nevica

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I don’t know what hydration pack he was using, but I’ve used one for a very long time camalbak blowfish for MTB and on the road, most cyclist with say "you get a sweaty back" I say "get over it" it is so easy to use without all the fiddling trying to get the bottle back into the cage.

OP
OP
Nevica

Nevica

It looks like the hydration pack was sitting on David Millars neck. It was not situated on his pack as I would have noticed this.

Any ideas what it could have been?

Nevica

ASC1951

Guru
Some racers use special hydration packs mounted high up, to improve aerodynamics - look at the lumps on professional motosport suits.

Packs are a good idea off road, where your bottles get covered in cack. On my road bike I find the technique of getting a bottle in and out of a cage quite simple to master, so I don't need to 'get over it' and I can ride with a dry and unburdened back.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
wot he said ^^^^^^

Camelbacks are fine too and I know several roadies who like using them. Personally I prefer traditional bottles (Bidons).

frank9755

Cyclist
Don't know what model he would be using, but they do make sense for time trialling, where you are flat out in an aero position for the whole race.

For any other type of (on-road) riding - including road racing - there is always going to be a convenient time to snatch a drink from your bottle.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Camelbak for me too as I don't mind a nice warm back in this weather  :biggrin: or summer too  :thumbsup:

zizou

Veteran
Camelbaks worn on the back were banned by the UCI because of the aerodynamic advantage they provided (they were shaped like a ridge along the riders back starting where the point of their helmet ended). I'm not sure what the rules are now (i thought some had been using the vest style ones where the bladder is on the front but Millar seemed to wearing it on his neck/back which is like the racebak design.)

As for 'normal' use rather than world class cyclists - for mountain biking i find it ideal but not for my road bike , it is considerably more uncomfortable because of the more stooped riding position and can also obstructs vision a bit when glancing over shoulder when in the drops.

OP
OP
Nevica

Nevica

On a side note. I thought Millar was awesome in the TT. He made it look so easy. He has always been a class act.

Nevica

Fiona N

Veteran
I presume that David was saving weight (ie Bottle cage + bottle is heavier than hydration pack material and tube).

Not so much weight as aerodynamics - having to take the hands off the tri-bars to reach for the bottle in a cage spoils the aero position (even supposing you're using an aero bottle - a normal round one would have a horrible effect on the air flow around the frame) whereas picking up the dangling tube keeps the hands in front.

OP
OP
Nevica

Nevica

Not so much weight as aerodynamics - having to take the hands off the tri-bars to reach for the bottle in a cage spoils the aero position (even supposing you're using an aero bottle - a normal round one would have a horrible effect on the air flow around the frame) whereas picking up the dangling tube keeps the hands in front.

I think your right!!!!

frank9755

Cyclist
She is right, and explained it much better than I did!

I'm thinking of getting something like that for time trialling next season (but personally I wouldn't use it for any other type of cycling)

Camelbaks worn on the back were banned by the UCI because of the aerodynamic advantage they provided (they were shaped like a ridge along the riders back starting where the point of their helmet ended).

Just as an aside, for UK time trial use it would be CTT regulations which would apply. They can and do differ from UCI (eg on permitting upward-slanting aerobars and steeper seat angles), but I've no idea what they say about hydration packs.

Top Bottom