Hydro disc duffer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Hi, so you know I've been riding my noo GT Avalanche for a week or so and everything's great, loving the bounce and the control etc etc.

(Have popped out into the woods once but otherwise road and pavement commutes.)

Just noticed today that when I apply the rear brake (Tektro Auriga Comps) on a medium feather they make a funny sound, I can only describe it as like a pipe organ played under syrup. Is this normal? They stop fine and the front brake doesn't make a sound and I've also tested for disc rub and there is none.

Not having really lived for long with discs before, I'm just wondering if this is the sound of feathered brakes bedding in..?

Cheers
Cyc.

Trumpettom001

I wouldn't worry too much about it... I have the same thing on my GT and have done for the last 2000 miles... odd though that it's on a different model bike but same brake... (i.e. both rear)..

I think it's caused by the teenyweenyest drop of synthetic impurity on the disc... an odd cure for it is to get a load of mud and shlop it on the rear brake unit, then ride 30 miles home, cursing that damned "cycle track" (btw - i'm not at all reccommending that you actually do that on purpose..

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Cheers dude. What do you mean by synthetic impurity? It has only started today - is it my control of the lever or does the brake need a visit to LBS do you think?

Or should I just shut up and put up?

Cyc

Trumpettom001

i wouldn't worry if it were the back brake - i've had the same thing happen on the front brake also, and that was a problem... the juddering is at a much lower pitch on the front, so causes the entire fork to rock back and forward, reducing your confidance in the brakes...

synthetic impurities - GT85, WD 40, oil in general...
mud/water dosent really have an effect on the brakes - the pads just push them straight off the disc.. whereas synthetic impurities have much smaller/more uniform molecules, and so therefore are able to work themselfs into the disc pad much more easily, and contine to cause disruptions....

Top Bottom