Hypoglycaemia?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I wrote in the "Today's Ride" section of this forum last week about getting quite serious symptoms of low blood sugar. Though not a diabetic I bought a blood glucose monitor and tracked my readings for a few days and all seemed OK. I have now been to see the practice nurse at my surgery and had a good, helpful talk. Reading my readings it became apparrent my blood sugar sits at the upper end of "normal". I can understand this. My diet is fairly high in sugar, and I have been overdoing the carbohydrates in the mistaken belief I need lots of carbs to fuel my cycling. Now, my body has adapted to the higher blood sugar levels and that feels normal to me. It seems what has been happening is that when my blood sugar drops to what is generally considered a normal level, my body, so used to the higher level, is responding as it would in the event of a proper hypo. hence my feeling so bad. That's the cause. Now the treatment. I have to bring my average blood sugar levels down, even though my body says I am low. Essentially I have to just live through the symptoms until my "sugar thermostat" resets itself. A bit like quitting smoking. I have reduced sugar in my diet, and reduced the carbohydrates. I rode 30 miles this morning and had a really good ride. The other thing is the Lucozade powder sports drink I have been using is also very high in sugar. I just used water with a drop of squash this morning for the flavour. So it is nice to know that all I need to do is make adjustments to my diet. It will take me a while to get it right but having something positive to aim at is a great boost.

Interesting. I sometimes have the same symptoms and I mainline Haribo.

Which monitor did you buy?

Linford

I am a diabetic who is just on the lower side of requiring insulin (have been on pills for 7 years now) so have more than a passing interest in this.

What you have described is known as a 'false hypo'

What happens when you eat is that your liver and blood absorbs various carbs any synthesises it into Glucose (glycogen as is known in the liver), this is released when the body demands it. When you sleep, your body will elevate these levels to keep the organs functioning, and that is why people with poor control wake up with high sugars. You wake up and have something sugary, and they get elevated even more, and then your pancreas give a big dollop of insulin and brings it right down.
It sounds like you need to take a glucose tolerance test to see where you are at.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Glad you went to see your quack. Good news for you really that it is something that can be managed by diet alone.

I have long been sceptical of the energy drinks and distorted diets that many wannabe 'athletes' use to 'improve' their performance when in reality they are just regular Joes who simply need to follow a sensible balanced diet and drink plenty of fluids (water is pretty damn good on a hot day!).

Personally, I just eat normally before a ride and it is only when a ride is going to be approaching the 80-100 mile mark that I usually bring out the Porridge as a pre ride breakfast :thumbsup:

I have reduced sugar in my diet, and reduced the carbohydrates. I rode 30 miles this morning and had a really good ride. The other thing is the Lucozade powder sports drink I have been using is also very high in sugar. I just used water with a drop of squash this morning for the flavour. So it is nice to know that all I need to do is make adjustments to my diet. It will take me a while to get it right but having something positive to aim at is a great boost.

I'm so glad I read this part. I'm not diabetic but my mum and gran are both type 2 and I sat up and read a lot more into this when my mum was diagnosed. My gran who is 90 manages her diabetes very well using diet alone. As for my mum, lets say she's continues to eat the same way got her very obese and is not improving, still putting on weight etc and not eating in a way in which anyone would consider healthy. I've read lot of questionable diet advice from the NHS and Diabetes UK (who are quoting NHS advice and are an excellent charity otherwise) and other diabetes resources seem to take a more sensible dietary approach. It sounds like your doctor is giving you good advice:smile:

Glad you went to see your quack. Good news for you really that it is something that can be managed by diet alone.

I have long been sceptical of the energy drinks and distorted diets that many wannabe 'athletes' use to 'improve' their performance when in reality they are just regular Joes who simply need to follow a sensible balanced diet and drink plenty of fluids (water is pretty damn good on a hot day!).

Personally, I just eat normally before a ride and it is only when a ride is going to be approaching the 80-100 mile mark that I usually bring out the Porridge as a pre ride breakfast :thumbsup:

^^This^^

Top Bottom