Hypothetical

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Huw3md

From a cyclist who has not done anything to you cyclist's who have,hypothetical question No1

How long would it take to cycle from North Wales to Menorca?

andym

Über Member
Find out the distance and then divide by (say) 50 (average daily mileage depends a lot on fitness etc).

According to this it's 833 miles from London to Menorca. So you just need to research the distance from North Wales to London.

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum.:hello:

Hey man, you can't expect us to do all the work with so little information.
For a start, do you intend flying part of the way, or using ferries? Strikes me there are two bits of sea to cross. Having selected your ferry terminals or airports, now calculate the land miles you will have to cycle. As a self confessed newbie, you would possibly cycle 40 miles a day for the first few days, increasing to about say 65mpd after you had got yourself cycle-fit. You would cycle for perhaps 6 hours a day at first, but this could increase later. Of course daily mileage will be less if you are carrying the full camping gear, more if staying in hotels and travelling light.
Ok, so now you you have calculated total mileage and miles per day, you can work out how many days of cycling it will take you. Add on an extra day for every 8-9 days, you will feel like a rest day now and again, and add on some more for delays while you wait at ferry or flight terminals. ;) .
That's it, now you have worked it out for yourself.:smile:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum.:hello:

Hey man, you can't expect us to do all the work with so little information.
For a start, do you intend flying part of the way, or using ferries? Strikes me there are two bits of sea to cross. Having selected your ferry terminals or airports, now calculate the land miles you will have to cycle. As a self confessed newbie, you would possibly cycle 40 miles a day for the first few days, increasing to about say 65mpd after you had got yourself cycle-fit. You would cycle for perhaps 6 hours a day at first, but this could increase later. Of course daily mileage will be less if you are carrying the full camping gear, more if staying in hotels and travelling light.
Ok, so now you you have calculated total mileage and miles per day, you can work out how many days of cycling it will take you. Add on an extra day for every 8-9 days, you will feel like a rest day now and again, and add on some more for delays while you wait at ferry or flight terminals. ;) .
That's it, now you have worked it out for yourself.:smile:

From experience I'd say you'll need to take a day off more often or at least do some short days to take it easy.

I would put money on Huw not reappearing.....

Yea of little faith - it was Hypothetical question No. 1 so I would assume that there is another loaded ready to go

From "North Wales" to Menorca in a pretty direct sort of way is anywhere between 1600km and 2000km cycling depending on the route

Assuming a relatively direct route through Portsmouth/St Malo - Bordeax - Beziers - Barcerlona avoiding the hilly bits if I was B&Bing and packed only my swimming trunks and the Rough Guide I could do it in about 2weeks - camping for me would be just doable in 3 weeks - add in rest days and take it easy around 4 weeks. Add in side trips to the Alps and Slovenia it could be a project for a whole summer.

I assume the OP is probably somewhat younger and fitter (and probably more determined) than I am so could probably do it quicker.

Hypothetical Question No. 2?

mcr

Veteran
Google Maps suggests about 1280 miles from, eg, Caernarvon for the most direct, non-motorway route via Poole-Cherbourg, and going over the Pyrenees to Barcelona rather than round the coast, so probably more like at least 1500 miles (2500km) in reality.

Google Maps suggests about 1280 miles from, eg, Caernarvon for the most direct, non-motorway route via Poole-Cherbourg, and going over the Pyrenees to Barcelona rather than round the coast, so probably more like at least 1500 miles (2500km) in reality.

It's got to be quite a bit less than 2,500 km. I went from the Isle of Man to Heysham, down to Portsmouth, ferry to St Malo, then through France, over the Pyrenees to the south coast of Spain and it was 2,688 km.

Brains

Legendary Member
Work on 250 miles a week if camping.
50 miles a day on average with a day off every now and again

There will be some days you only manage 70 or even 80 miles, other days when it's only 25 or 30 miles and some days when you do no milage at all.

If you do a credit card tour rather than a camping tour then add 10-20 miles per day to the above (and £40-50 extra a day for B&B and food!)

OP
OP
H

Huw3md

Jay Clock could be right as it was a hypothetical question,but it is something my son and I have contenplated ,this forum inspires and educates
so we might in the not to distant future be wheeling our bikes off the ferry in Cuitadella.

Top Bottom