I´m currently thinking of buying my first road bike. Need some advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bike132

I am currently thinking of buying my first road bike and I have too in mind at the moment. It´s either a Carrera Virtuoso (new from Halfords) which is 325pounds, or a Specialized Allez from 2013 which is in good condition (second handed) for 200 pounds.

Which one should I go for? If you know about any other good road bikes under 350 pounds please let me know as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
male /female, size required, do require mounting points for mudguards and rack, all would help to get some suggestions:okay:

What kind of riding?
Leisure, sport, commuting, errands, shopping, touring, tracks and trails, summer only/ all weather????

si_c

Guru
I'd go for the Allez over the Carrera every time, even allowing for the cost of a full service and accessories it's going to be cheaper. As mentioned above though it's worth making sure that the bike fits you comfortably before you buy it.

Things to look out for are
  • Saddle height - can you get your feet on the pedals so that when you turn them your leg is fully extended when pedalling but that you don't rock your hips from side to side?
  • Reach - when you sit on the saddle and have you hands on the hoods of the road bike (furthest forward with your hands on the brakes/shifters) do you feel too stretched out, do you think you could sit like that for an hour?
These two are for me the best indicators of whether a bike fits you - the sizing (M/L/XL or a measurement in CM) tends to vary by brand.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'd go for the Allez over the Carrera every time, even allowing for the cost of a full service and accessories it's going to be cheaper. As mentioned above though it's worth making sure that the bike fits you comfortably before you buy it.

Things to look out for are
  • Saddle height - can you get your feet on the pedals so that when you turn them your leg is fully extended when pedalling but that you don't rock your hips from side to side?
  • Reach - when you sit on the saddle and have you hands on the hoods of the road bike (furthest forward with your hands on the brakes/shifters) do you feel too stretched out, do you think you could sit like that for an hour?
These two are for me the best indicators of whether a bike fits you - the sizing (M/L/XL or a measurement in CM) tends to vary by brand.
Depends on if the OP knows what to look for with regards the pitfalls of a second hand bike, if so then a second hand one can be a bargain but if not a new bike can potentially offer peace of mind and warranty .
as @Drago said get over to decathlon

OP
OP
B

bike132

male /female, size required, do require mounting points for mudguards and rack, all would help to get some suggestions:okay:

Male, medium, I am 5'8", it's a bike to start doing triathlon and rides out on the road.

OP
OP
B

bike132

What kind of riding?
Leisure, sport, commuting, errands, shopping, touring, tracks and trails, summer only/ all weather????

I want to start doing triathlon, so it would be sport related. I'd like to be able to go out every time there's a sunny day!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Male, medium, I am 5'8", it's a bike to start doing triathlon and rides out on the road.

Where are based @bike132 ?

Only asking as there might be a fellow cc'er who might be able to offer some local help

Feel free if local to Northamptonshire and come and try any of my road bikes to see if they help you in your search

OP
OP
B

bike132

Where are based @bike132 ?

Only asking as there might be a fellow cc'er who might be able to offer some local help

Feel free if local to Northamptonshire and come and try any of my road bikes to see if they help you in your search

I´m in Gwynedd, and I don´t have a car :sad: Thank you anyway

vickster

Legendary Member
What size is the Allez? Check the suggested height range vs frame size and check it over (and find out when components were replaced, one mans good condition could be another mans worn dog) and give it a ride to check it fits
Which Allez, what spec? Some weren’t much more than £400 new. So £200 for a 6 year old one might be dear if the basic spec

Top Bottom