I’m in the process of configuring a ‘bent what’s absolutely necessary, what’s not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you thinking delta or tadpole ??

Deltas tend to have higher seats so it's easier to get on and off them.
But it fairly easy to fit grab handles to a tadpole if that's a problem.
Being lower tadpoles are more stable if you think you'll be doing silly high speed corners.
Deltas tend not to have that much weight on their front wheel.
So it's possible to lose steering on a steep gravelly uphill track, especially if you only have a single wheel drive.
Tadpoles are the opposite in there's less weight on their back wheel, so you lose traction and you'll have to get off and push instead.
Hub brakes are fit and forget, they are also more weather proof.
Disks tend to have more stopping power, very good if you have a weak grip or are running twin brakes off a single lever.
Recumbents tend to favour a high cadence riding style.
So shorter cranks and slightly lower gears may be an idea.
Mesh seats are cooler and more forgiving, but hard shell seats tend to lock you in place so you can generate more power.
A front fairing can give you ~4% more top speed on downhill runs, so not a lot.
But it does make the trike look bigger from the front, so maybe better in traffic.

Luck ............. ^_^

Ps. If you do a lot of off road/shared path cycling then a good "bing-bong" bell is a must.

At present I’m taking the plunge, and configuring a ‘bent ( trike ). I’m fairly green as far as these go, what bits would people who have more experience say were absolutely essential, and what would be ‘fripperies’? I’m thinking more about add on extras, rather than standard mechanical bits. One specific mechanical bit that I’m considering is Di2, but is this as advantageous on a ‘bent as it is on a standard bicycle?
Give me a call .....happy to advise and guide you through the trike maze .
No doubt you have been on the ICE trikes "One arm bandit" pricing machine ??
Just for the record I have received a number of calls via hospital A and E departments
from novice riders who have suffered a sudden heart attack ... have checked the final cost !"£$
I have a few years experience selling recumbents and more than fifty trikes in stock !
Oh and I'am an ICE premier dealer with all the popular models in stock .
Regards Kevin D.TEK

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Give me a call .....happy to advise and guide you through the trike maze .
No doubt you have been on the ICE trikes "One arm bandit" pricing machine ??
Just for the record I have received a number of calls via hospital A and E departments
from novice riders who have suffered a sudden heart attack ... have checked the final cost !"£$
I have a few years experience selling recumbents and more than fifty trikes in stock !
Oh and I'am an ICE premier dealer with all the popular models in stock .
Regards Kevin D.TEK
Yes. I’ve been on the ICE site, configuring up the VTX Black world championship edition. Oddly, the one thing I’m most unsure about is seat size. I’m about 5ft11 and 75 Kgs, so I’m thinking I’ll be rattling around a bit in the Large, but I don’t want to be squashed in if the Medium is too small.

Check the routes your going to use in winter. I found a ford that was okay in the summer but was definitely not in the winter.

Top Bottom