I’m in the process of configuring a ‘bent what’s absolutely necessary, what’s not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At present I’m taking the plunge, and configuring a ‘bent ( trike ). I’m fairly green as far as these go, what bits would people who have more experience say were absolutely essential, and what would be ‘fripperies’? I’m thinking more about add on extras, rather than standard mechanical bits. One specific mechanical bit that I’m considering is Di2, but is this as advantageous on a ‘bent as it is on a standard bicycle?

I think the only essential extra is probably mirrors. You cannot see traffic behind you without them.

Very recomembed is some form of foot retention. If your foot gets bounced off the pedal at speed, hits the ground and stops then the cross frame can give you another joint in your leg. Probability of it happening is small but it's a known hazard.

Flags are a bit like helmets. Not really needed but you may get hassle if you ride without one.

Because the chainring are the most forward point then some form of guard on them may help. You'll need one if you to a HPV event.

Riding in the rain is nasty without mudguards. The spray off a front wheel can/will hit your face on a corner if not used.

No idea about Di2 as I use a Rohloff but I'd try and maximize the gear range.

Luck ............ ^_^

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I think the only essential extra is probably mirrors. You cannot see traffic behind you without them.

Very recomembed is some form of foot retention. If your foot gets bounced off the pedal at speed, hits the ground and stops then the cross frame can give you another joint in your leg. Probability of it happening is small but it's a known hazard.

Flags are a bit like helmets. Not really needed but you may get hassle if you ride without one.

Because the chainring are the most forward point then some form of guard on them may help. You'll need one if you to a HPV event.

Riding in the rain is nasty without mudguards. The spray off a front wheel can/will hit your face on a corner if not used.

No idea about Di2 as I use a Rohloff but I'd try and maximize the gear range.

Luck ............ ^_^
Good stuff. I hadn’t thought about the chainring guard at all.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
So makes me wish I kept my bent. The absolute joy of speed and cornering on a 2 wheel bent is something else.
I haven’t taken the brave pill that would allow me to go 2 wheeled ‘bent. I’ve never fancied that.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Racing roadkill Have you ever tried one? I would not be spending a large amount of cash and spec'ing one up without spending a long time one one. I have had a few long loans on some generous souls pride and joys and at the moment have decided they are not for me. I would hate to spend a few thousand to find that out.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I haven’t taken the brave pill that would allow me to go 2 wheeled ‘bent. I’ve never fancied that.

It's not at all scary. You quickly get used to how easy they are to corner (and you don't need to stop pedalling). I would regularly ground my rear panniers with some enthusiastic cornering so I had to adjust how I mounted them.

It's even more "FUN" on a trike when you take a downhill corner at speed with the inside wheel a few mm in the air.
You're feathering the brake just to keep the speed constant and you know if you let the brakes off you'll speed up and tip over and/or brake harder then you'll disturb the balance which will cause you to tip up more.
I've done a few of them ....... ^_^

Upright trikes can be "fun" because they tend to suffer from camber steer if your not careful.
You lean right to counteract a camber and the trike automagically steers itself into the ditch.
And the more you panic because this happens then worse it gets ......... :laugh:
Because your that much lower on a bent trike then this effect is almost unnoticeable.

Recumbent bike are more tricky.
A rough rule of thumb is the lower and/or more reclined you are, the more difficult they are to balance.
So there is a much greater variation in how they handle vs upright bikes.
With a bent bike I'd always advise you try before you buy but a trike is just get on and go.

Luck ............ ^_^

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
It's even more "FUN" on a trike when you take a downhill corner at speed with the inside wheel a few mm in the air.
You're feathering the brake just to keep the speed constant and you know if you let the brakes off you'll speed up and tip over and/or brake harder then you'll disturb the balance which will cause you to tip up more.
I've done a few of them ....... ^_^

Upright trikes can be "fun" because they tend to suffer from camber steer if your not careful.
You lean right to counteract a camber and the trike automagically steers itself into the ditch.
And the more you panic because this happens then worse it gets ......... :laugh:
Because your that much lower on a bent trike then this effect is almost unnoticeable.

Recumbent bike are more tricky.
A rough rule of thumb is the lower and/or more reclined you are, the more difficult they are to balance.
So there is a much greater variation in how they handle vs upright bikes.
With a bent bike I'd always advise you try before you buy but a trike is just get on and go.

Luck ............ ^_^
I’ve ridden a couple of trikes, but not big distances. I like them, whether that holds long term remains to be seen.

Top Bottom