I actually managed to true a wheel!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Shock horror - after 10 years of "serious" cycling, I finally managed to true my back wheel.

It's a Giant PR2 Disc and it had a serious amount of wobble in one area.

I held a piece of cardboard against the frame to slow the wheel at the buckle, then I turned the opposite spoke clockwise (not knowing this was loosening the spoke)

Nothing much happened so I took an unused wheel to check which direction tightens - counter clockwise,

I then located a few spokes near the buckle, opposite side, and gradually made a few turns.

Within a minute the wheel was perfect!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done.
I wouldn’t do this myself as I don’t trust my skills for truing, but applaud those who can do it.

If it was that quick to true, it's probably got slightly uneven tensions, and is slightly out radially. Nothing extreme.

But if the brakes still work OK - which in this case of a disc-brake, they will! - then I wouldn't stress about it. Just see if it does anything odd after 50 miles-or-so.

GuyBoden

Guru
Too tight and the spoke will break, it's sometimes better to loosen the opposite spoke than tighten.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Whenever I try to true a wheel the corners come of the nipples (if they haven't already). I've got used to them being 2-3mm out in some places.

With wonky wheel you have to find the compromise between true rim and even spoke tension. The spokes should twang to the same pitch but if the rim was wonky before the build they never do.

It's so easy to true a minor buckle. Only takes a few minutes. All you need is the spoke key and to be able to wind in the brake blocks to act as a guide.

Top Bottom