I am 46 and I would like to regain touch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sundaram

I would like to regain touch in cycling that I learned when I was young. When I attempted a few years ago, I got it right but my legs ached much. Can I ride a cycle again? Will I be in a position to ride it comfortably again? How long should I practice to regain touch?

Arch

Married to Night Train
If it was just your legs that ached, then yes, of course you'll be able to get back into it. If you havent ridden for a while, you'll need to build up your cycling fitness again, but the more you ride, the better you'll get.

Are you thinking of any particular type of cycling? Racing, Touring, MTB? Whatever you want to do, the main thing is to have the right bike, and just do it...

OP
OP
sundaram

sundaram

You are right. I would like to regain my cycling touch with a view to enjoy a bit of touring. Touring by cycle is indeed a big pleasure. Thanks for your observations.

Rassendyll

I would like to regain touch in cycling that I learned when I was young. When I attempted a few years ago, I got it right but my legs ached much. Can I ride a cycle again? Will I be in a position to ride it comfortably again? How long should I practice to regain touch?

Of course you can - go for it. As long as the ache is just muscular, and not knee problems or back, then it will go away fairly quickly.

You just need to start slowly, but regularly. Better to do two or three 5-10 mile rides in a week instead of going out for one long aching ride. Should only take a couple of weeks before you start to feel fairly comfortable.

Norm

A year ago, I was 45 and way overweight and I re-discovered cycling when I bought a hard-tail MTB.

I've since added a cyclo-x and a road bike, and I'm now riding to work (about 9 miles each way) in 30-35 minutes about 3 times a week and I've brought my times down of a regular 10 mile off-road /road run from over an hour to a PB of 38 minutes last Friday night.

I'm now 46 and still way over-weight (I've only lost about 1 stone, I've got 5 more to go!) but much fitter than I've been in years and I love every minute on the bike.

20+ rides and you'll feel like a 20 year old again!
I often feel like a 20 year old, but there's never one around at the right time. :whistle:

Jakey Rowling

Hi Sundram,

I am 48 and about 2.5 stones overweight and I returned to cycling this year. I bought a hybrid bike at my LBS in early June and when I cycled away (very, very wobbly!) it was the first time I had been on a bike since 1982. Since then I have cycled almost 700 miles and I am now happily doing 40-50 mile day trips and I have my first tour - a four day trip to the Southern Hebrides - planned for mid-September.

So what you are wanting to do is very achievable. The secret for me was to start with short distances - typically no more than 7 miles a day - and to build up slowly. But the most important thing of all was to make sure I was enjoying myself because I knew that if I didn't I'd end up putting the bike back in the garage after a trip and never taking it out again. So to that end I have not bothered at all about my speed which by most standards is pretty slow although without really trying I have built up from an average of 8 mph to 12 mph.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

Provided you are generally in good health keep at it then your fitness will soon improve.I am 52 and started cycling again last year after a break of over 20 years.Now much lighter and fitter,

good Luck.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
46? You are a youngster, I'm only 52 myself and about a stone over weight. I now commute on a regular basis and am getting stronger and faster.

Talking about age, I was sitting in the West Stoke village hall having a delicious cream tea, when in walked the Porthsmouth CTC average must have been well over 60 and all fit looking sprite cyclists. There were definitely a few in their 70's

Norm

As soon as I posted that I thought someone would make such a comment - trust you Norm - at 46 you should know better
:tongue:

There's always one... and, if I'm around, there's little doubt who that one will be. :biggrin:

Anyhoo, back on topic, where are you Sundaram? Might find someone who will be a ride buddy to give you a bit of company.

OP
OP
sundaram

sundaram

Thank you Rowling, you are right. I would do exactly the same, increasing the distance of travel gradually day by day or even week by week. Thanks for the guidance.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I regained an interest in cycling around my fiftieth b'day (2 years ago)

Just completed a John o'Groats - Land'sEnd ride (albeit at a very gentle pace - 20 days cycling)

It is never too late.... you just have to work up to it gradually.

Top Bottom