I am a beginner, feeling nervous to get started.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I can't remember the last time I hopped on a bike, due to running causing a lot of stress on my body I have decided I want to get started with cycling.
My main fear is my balance, I feel like I can get going but then I worry about when I need to stop, I imagine I am going to brake and then fall off to one side or another and cause myself injury.
How long is it since you last rode a bike?

I ask, because between the ages of 16 and 24, I didn't ride a bike at all. I then bought a bike for work commuting, hopped on it and it was like I'd been riding daily for the previous eight years.

Just a suggestion, but if you have access to a hybrid bike/ hard tail mountain bike, drop the saddle so that your feet sit flat on the ground.

Then go somewhere very quiet (early morning, first light) and then sit on the bike and push yourself forward with your feet and glide along a bit. Do this a couple of times until you are confident with the balance side of things and then have a go on the pedals, safe in the knowledge that you can just plant your feet back on the ground in an instant.

You'll be fine.

Tom B

Guru
Take it easy and don't get down if your fitness doesn't translate.

When I came back to cycling (after doing lots of running and walking) the 6 mile each way commute used to destroy me. First I did. Tuesday and Thurs only, then Monday Weds Fri then Mon Tues Thurs Fri before doing each day.

I then lengthens the commute out, and started playing "can't go the same way twice in a week" etc

Now 20miles is just a warm up. But it takes time.

Top Bottom