I am considering...

Should I make it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sweet and savoury... are we allowed tarts?

Tarts, tartlets and quiche are off limits for now.

I might conduct a further poll once I have an operating plog.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

You are mistaken there, Vernon, it is Pie charts and Bar graphs. :thumbsup:^_^

No, you are mistaken. The Key Stage Two, Three and Four Maths curricula all call them bar charts. It's what I teach :thumbsup:^_^

Try the chart plotting wizards in any of the office suites and see what they call bar charts other than bar charts.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

No, you are mistaken. The Key Stage Two, Three and Four Maths curricula all call them bar charts. It's what I teach :thumbsup:^_^

Try the chart plotting wizards in any of the office suites and see what they call bar charts other than bar charts.

Old people might call them bar graphs......

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

My apologies, Vern. :blush: I studied Mathematics in the last century, perhaps the nomenclature has changed. :blush:

Methodologies have too.

I still haven't got the hang of modern subtraction. By modern I mean as introduced twenty years ago.

Sadly mathematicians have a grip on the curriculum and there's too much focus on mathematics rather than the more useful arithmetic and the algorithms that delivered the correct answers without the need to know the underlying theory.

The notion that the current maths curriculum will deliver a numerate population has proved to be pie in the sky.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

I did not know there was a modern methodology of subtraction. :scratch:

If I subtract five mince pies from your plate, do I still have five pies?

The answer is the same but the manner in which large numbers are subtracted from each other i.e. 'borrowing' and 'paying back' has altered causing all sorts of dissonance between parents and kids and parent declaring that they no longer understand maths and kids getting upset because they are caught in the strife between two different algorithms delivered by people that they trust

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

[QUOTE 1657533, member: 1314"]Yes - as long as you can provide a fool's proof way of making crumbly, sweet, rich pastry.[/quote]

Delia's shortcrust pastry recipe is unbeatable - to date.

The Hairy Bikers' book might change my view.

Top Bottom