I aquaplaned today and it was scary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Possibly an oil spill made worse by the rain? I once had some wheel spin pulling out onto a hill. I thought it was just me being careless in the rain, until it happened again as the slope increased. It got worse and worse as I approached the top, when I met the police car that has been sent to investigate, stuck in a hedge. Getting out of the car there was a strong smell of diesel, and the road surface felt like ice.

Most likely cause IME. The most innocuous manoever can result in a loss of control if there's water and oil in the road. Roundabouts are particularly bad. Had it happen to me before, just normally accelerating from a RA, ooo, instant correction required.
You can predict / anticipate it sometimes, after a hot spell, fresh rain on the road...drive with caution.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
What was the lesson?

Slow down.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Ahem

Why would you be doing 70 in torrential rain anyhow?

I wasn't, those are not my Words.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Glad you came out unscathed. I'm surprised I have never done it before, but I did only on a bicycle aged 12ish. I hit a huge puddle (lake) on the A38 a while back in my car, totally didn't see it. There was a loud noise of water hitting the wheel arches but I maintained control. The ABS lights were flashing like Billio but apart from that I just slowed down a lot.

Jody

Stubborn git
Aquaplaning is easily dealt with in a FWD car. Just pin the throttle and stay straight.

The only time you have issues is when weight transfers forwards or you are changing direction

Top Bottom