I aquaplaned today and it was scary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It was tipping it down this morning and I was driving uphill, all of a sudden the car lost control and slid off the surface, I used gentle steering to correct the slide which went one way then another and again and eventually got me back in control. It was made more scary as there was another car on the opposite side at the time.

I've learnt a lesson there.

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey. I hope you didn't spill your beer!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's difficult to aquaplane uphill as speed has to be quite high to exceed the tyres' ability to squeeze water out of the way. Very wet roads can just be slippy. If only the driven wheels break free, it's probably not aquaplaning. I've had RWD cars break traction on wet climbs at 30mph.

PapaZita

Guru
Possibly an oil spill made worse by the rain? I once had some wheel spin pulling out onto a hill. I thought it was just me being careless in the rain, until it happened again as the slope increased. It got worse and worse as I approached the top, when I met the police car that has been sent to investigate, stuck in a hedge. Getting out of the car there was a strong smell of diesel, and the road surface felt like ice.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's difficult to aquaplane uphill as speed has to be quite high to exceed the tyres' ability to squeeze water out of the way. Very wet roads can just be slippy. If only the driven wheels break free, it's probably not aquaplaning. I've had RWD cars break traction on wet climbs at 30mph.

Uphill? I’m surprised there was enough surface water to do that. You didn’t spot an ark nearby, did you?

It was a dip going downhill then uphill and the water was running big time down towards me. Yes I was obviously going a bit faster than physics would let me but not being stupid, as I say lessens learned.

Jameshow

Veteran
Aqua planning is pretty scary just don't alter speed or direction is the key!

Snaking a caravan over the avonmouth bridge is equally brown seats!

Torrential rain at 70 and you cannot see the car ahead is pretty bad too...!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Should have been on two wheels! (No aquaplaning, just get very wet.)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Right, what's an ark? (Obscure comedic reference, Bob Newhart I think)

Even older than Bob Newhart!

One of these…
IMG_0374.jpeg

Aqua planning is pretty scary just don't alter speed or direction is the key!

Snaking a caravan over the avonmouth bridge is equally brown seats!

Torrential rain at 70 and you cannot see the car ahead is pretty bad too...!

The bit about the torrential rain at 70 is worrying as you are afraid to brake or slow down because of vehicles behind you !

richardfm

Veteran
It was tipping it down this morning and I was driving uphill, all of a sudden the car lost control and slid off the surface, I used gentle steering to correct the slide which went one way then another and again and eventually got me back in control. It was made more scary as there was another car on the opposite side at the time.

I've learnt a lesson there.

What was the lesson?

Top Bottom