Funeral Costs! Interesting and,scary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently organised the funeral of an aunt who died leaving no direct family. Her savings just about paid for everything so it cost me nothing, but I was amazed at the costs, outside the undertaker's fees.

She died in another town but wanted her ashes to be interred in the same plot as her mother in my home town so we just had the cremation and I collected the ashes from Port Talbot crem to be interred in Merthyr.

The local council charged me £1012 to have the plot stone removed and a cemetery labourer to dig a hole and put he urn in (double the normal price because she was not a Merthyr resident when she died), and on top of that they charged the monument mason £200+ for the pleasure of him removing and replacing the newly engraved stone...on a poorly maintained site

When I die I am going to ask for my ashes to be scattered. Cheaper and no plot to worry about keeping tidy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I visited this grave today. He was wiped out on a roundabout by a Mercedes mini bus, about 20 minutes after I'd ridden round the same roundabout. I was going to post it on the thread started when he died 5 years ago, but after searching I cannot find it. If I remember rightly, it was @Drago who pointed the report of his death out to me from the local paper report at the time. Heck, time flies by! It doesn't seem like 5 years ago. Robert (Rob) was a keen touring cyclist, who'd ridden his Dawes tourer in many European countries in his words "without a scratch, then he gets wiped out 3 miles from his home!

nc_ohc=VV5bbDxMtPwAX_KrEtT&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=AzZEpyQUPGsAX8SfNGE&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic as it's not really aimed at @Dave7... but regarding the burden of funeral costs.

My cousin's daughter very recently lost her life in tragic circumstances and i was wondering last night how on earth my cousin is going to afford a funeral. On top of everything she's going through, being faced with having to find five or six grand in such a short space of time must be awful. This morning one of her friends set up a go-fund-me campaign on FB, which would never have entered my mind, and already almost £4K has been raised. It's nothing short of amazing.

If anyone ever finds themselves wondering how a friend or family member can afford such sudden costs in times of tragedy, then please, set up a go-fund-me on their behalf.

Seen it myself, usually the result of tragic circumstances, a friend or family member sets up a go fund me page...ànd its usually well used by the community around the person that died. Doesnt need to be big contributions, but many small ones make a big difference.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The state will pay for a very basic cremation/funeral if the deceased doesnt have the funds to cover it and the family dont want to/ or cant pay. They do not have to be on benefits either.All you have to say is that you wont accept resposibilty for the funeral etc. I personally dont agree with Go Fund mes for everything.
All childrens funerals are now free as well.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The state will pay for a very basic cremation/funeral if the deceased doesnt have the funds to cover it and the family dont want to/ or cant pay. They do not have to be on benefits either.All you have to say is that you wont accept resposibilty for the funeral etc. I personally dont agree with Go Fund mes for everything.
All childrens funerals are now free as well.

The post you're referring to is not an example of 'go fund me for everything'. The advice you provide is somewhat offensive too.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The post you're referring to is not an example of 'go fund me for everything'. The advice you provide is somewhat offensive too.
I was stating a basic fact that a lot of people do not know. I dont agree with Go Fund mes other people do, everyone is entitled to their own opinion at the end of the day on this matter. The end.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I visited this grave today. He was wiped out on a roundabout by a Mercedes mini bus, about 20 minutes after I'd ridden round the same roundabout. I was going to post it on the thread started when he died 5 years ago, but after searching I cannot find it. If I remember rightly, it was @Drago who pointed the report of his death out to me from the local paper report at the time. Heck, time flies by! It doesn't seem like 5 years ago. Robert (Rob) was a keen touring cyclist, who'd ridden his Dawes tourer in many European countries in his words "without a scratch, then he gets wiped out 3 miles from his home!

View attachment 691419

View attachment 691420

Both dead in their early 50’s. Tragic.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Both dead in their early 50’s. Tragic.

Yes, his wife died two years earlier from kidney failure. He was going to do a charity ride for kidney research in June of that year, in Brittany. Sadly he lost his life the same month. It was a nice touch that the mayor of that region and a few others came over for his funeral. The little 15th century church up the road from my flat, where the service took place was packed out, with many cyclists attending. Some didn't know him, but felt the need to pay their respects. The saddest part, apart from seeing his two daughters who'd lost both parents in two years was seeing his elderly mother, distraught as she followed his coffin out the church after the service. If I remember rightly, the driver of the mini bus received a suspended sentence. Obviously he'll have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom