Funeral Costs! Interesting and,scary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
They are very expensive cardboard boxes, although I think better than using wood, what does everybody think about a coffin rental service? It's for the display only & the service, but the body would be removed before cremation & used again.
Nothing new in coffin rental.

The cheaper one, if one is used, is inside the expensive one and removed prior to cremation. Often the lining will be the only part used, and replaced for every use.

What ever is chosen, at least respect the deceased.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just one extra @Dave7 obviously I don't know if you are religious or not but as our family are mostly not we went for a Celebrant to do the service as opposed to a Vicar / Priest.

It tended to make the service more about my mother and not about God's will etc.

I knew nothing of Celebrants prior to the process but once again our undertaker explained all this and organised the lady.

I can't speak highly enough of the undertakers that did my mother's funeral, apart from going to the Registrar to register the death I had very little to do as they arranged everything, flowers, order of service printing, ashes into a casket and stored for us prior to final placing etc.

I just wonder about a remote internet based company if the client would get the same level of attention.

We used a Celebrant for both my parents, I was furious at my mothers when he had us say a prayer after being strictly advised not to, my fathers was much better.

Jameshow

Veteran
We used a Celebrant for both my parents, I was furious at my mothers when he had us say a prayer after being strictly advised not to, my fathers was much better.

If you don't believe there is nothing more hypocritical than a vicar etc.
If you do believe then there is nothing more reassuring and comforting tbh....

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’d like a Requiem Mass followed by a burial in the same resting place as my wife’s (when her time comes). I’m flexible about the music, it can either be in Latin, English or Spanish (but nothing secular). And definitely no eulogy since this will not be about me. Instead it will be about the love, mercy and glory of God.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My mum was direct to crematorium with strict instructions for no one to attend - which I respected.

My S-I-L did the same too.

Mrs SD and myself want simalar (with whoever is left attending) although the kids can attend if they wish.

Mrs SD wants Woolly Bully (she still hasn't mastered the asociated dance) played and I want Trampled Underfoot (not for the eventual irony but it was a teen fave of mine).

That's us sorted.

@Dave7 :hugs:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
²

We were going to use a celebrant but my SiL (daughters husband) wants to do it.
He has lots of experience in public speaking and really loves my wife (his MiL).

That's really great. We had a celebrant at my Dad's funeral and whilst it was a nice service, it felt false because the celebrant had never met my dad yet spoke in a way that sort of suggested he had. Good on your Son in Law.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My mother's funeral was on Zoom. (At the height of COVID lockdown)

D

Deleted member 26715

My wife's aunt died last year, her elderly niece & nephew in law (is that a thing) didn't want to travel from Norfolk to South Yorks, but the crematorium wanted £75 to put it online which we thought was very excessive so didn't.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, one thing to come out of COVID is that the services are recorded and you can get a link to them on the net or get them put on a USB stick

Good for "long distance" family members unable to attend on the day.

I didn't think of that. I could re watch the highlights.

That would be the bit where my sister's dog decided one of the officials was a wrong 'un (probably a postman in disguise) and started barking at him.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Slightly off topic as it's not really aimed at @Dave7... but regarding the burden of funeral costs.

My cousin's daughter very recently lost her life in tragic circumstances and i was wondering last night how on earth my cousin is going to afford a funeral. On top of everything she's going through, being faced with having to find five or six grand in such a short space of time must be awful. This morning one of her friends set up a go-fund-me campaign on FB, which would never have entered my mind, and already almost £4K has been raised. It's nothing short of amazing.

If anyone ever finds themselves wondering how a friend or family member can afford such sudden costs in times of tragedy, then please, set up a go-fund-me on their behalf.

Top Bottom