Funeral Costs! Interesting and,scary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I was visiting our grand son's grave the other day, I had a good look around the cemetary and couldn't help but noticed the number of run down and falling apart tomb stones every where. It got me thinking that one is only remembered by the next two generations at best before your resting place is left untouched, uncared for and left to decay for ever. I always said I wanted to be buried but , on reflection. I now veer towards cremation and I don't want the man upstairs to be mentioned at my funeral either. Keep it cheap and simple.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Woodland burial? No markers and you can feed the trees.

We have one of these here a couple of miles out of the town. Although I could go in with mum in the cemetery, I have fallen out with my brother and his family so have no close relatives left that would be likely to tend my grave either so thinking about that too. Not sure I want a funeral service either.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I don't want a funeral. I want one of those companies that pick you up, do a cremation and take what's left back to the family to do what they want with.

I don't want my family to have the stress of arranging a funeral, not to mention the horrendous cost. It's a huge amount to pay considering the end result. I'm not against spending money, but once I am gone, I won't care what arrangements are made.

I'd rather my family hold a glass of cheer up for me and have a laugh remembering me that way.

bruce1530

Guru
A chap I know passed away. He lived on his own, only family he had was abroad. But he had lots of good friends, and was a folk music and real ale fan. His brother came over from the states to organise things.

His brother circulated the message "(name) will be privately cremated. In accordance with his wishes, the money saved by having a minimal funeral will be behind the bar at (local pub) on Saturday."

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When I was visiting our grand son's grave the other day, I had a good look around the cemetary and couldn't help but noticed the number of run down and falling apart tomb stones every where. It got me thinking that one is only remembered by the next two generations at best before your resting place is left untouched, uncared for and left to decay for ever.

My dad is buried in the oldest part of the local cemetery. He's on top of my great grandma's 2 husbands (no, she wasn't married to both at the same time, before anyone asks :rolleyes:) who died in the 1950's. I'd say that only about 5 percent of the graves in the old part are tended by relatives, including me. When I pop off no one will tend his grave and no one would visit mine, if I ended up 6ft under. As a radio phone in presenter said a few years ago, those who choose to be buried don't half leave a burden for their spouses, children, relatives etc, who they expect to tend their graves for the rest of their lives. Sorry about your grandson by the way. Best wishes to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I don't want a funeral. I want one of those companies that pick you up, do a cremation and take what's left back to the family to do what they want with.

I don't want my family to have the stress of arranging a funeral, not to mention the horrendous cost. It's a huge amount to pay considering the end result. I'm not against spending money, but once I am gone, I won't care what arrangements are made.

I'd rather my family hold a glass of cheer up for me and have a laugh remembering me that way.

I fancied something similar but the family want something "better" and they love her just as much as I do (slightly different way of course)......I don't have strong feelings so am happy to go with their wishes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A chap I know passed away. He lived on his own, only family he had was abroad. But he had lots of good friends, and was a folk music and real ale fan. His brother came over from the states to organise things.

His brother circulated the message "(name) will be privately cremated. In accordance with his wishes, the money saved by having a minimal funeral will be behind the bar at (local pub) on Saturday."
I think a free bar at the wake is the way to pack out any funeral!

Chislenko

Veteran
Just one extra @Dave7 obviously I don't know if you are religious or not but as our family are mostly not we went for a Celebrant to do the service as opposed to a Vicar / Priest.

It tended to make the service more about my mother and not about God's will etc.

I knew nothing of Celebrants prior to the process but once again our undertaker explained all this and organised the lady.

I can't speak highly enough of the undertakers that did my mother's funeral, apart from going to the Registrar to register the death I had very little to do as they arranged everything, flowers, order of service printing, ashes into a casket and stored for us prior to final placing etc.

I just wonder about a remote internet based company if the client would get the same level of attention.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Like David Bowie, I am opting for a "Direct cremation". No service, no funeral, no family and friends. I am happy to be put in a cardboard box and cremated.

My ashes will be returned to my friends and family and scattered on my favourite beach in the summer. Everyone will have to wear shorts and hawaaian shirt. All those who attend will be treated to chicken and chips at my favourite beach side grill. Its a stones throw from where my ashes will be scattered.

It will be far more memorable than a funeral and it is how I would like to be remembered.

Will that be this summer?

Top Bottom