I 'ate technology...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bleedin' telly's started playing up. Picture breaking up, juddery, unwatchable. Started a few days ago, one evening, got steadily worse till 'No signal' - nothing. Grrr. Next day, back to normal. Hooray! Till halfway through the evening, starts going juddery, eventually dies again. No signal. Next day (today) fine. Hooray! Till (you can guess the rest)...

Ok, I'll watch it live on the laptop. 'Insufficient broadband.' Grrrr. Maybe it'll work on the Kindle. 'You need Adobe Flash to play this content. Click here to download the latest version' Click here. 'Your device can't support Flash. Sorry.' Grrrr.

Google.

Adobe stopped supporting Android, but there is a workaround. You need to download an old version from this link. But you also need to download the Dolphin browser, because your Silk browser won't support it. Ok. Download Dolphin and install. Download Adobe and install. Try YouTube. It works! Hooray! Back to Film 4 live. 'You need Adobe Flash to play this content. Click here to download the latest version'.

Has the telly come back?........Nnnnno.

Wonder what's happening on CC....

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Did I mention Grrrrr?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I hate flash, it would be more useful to everyone if all browsers stopped supporting it, it should be dead by now.

My personal tech hate is Skype, why is this a good thing?. :angry:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Our telly's playing up. We have to keep re routing it to get the ITV channels. It hasn't been right since the strong wind a couple of weeks ago. The sound also goes off if you switch the channels more than a few times. These things aren't made to last like the old tellies were!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bet you've got water tracking down your telly aerial causing corrosion and farking up yer signal.
I have never seen that myself, but I once read about a TV engineer being called out and finding a VCR full of water from just that cause!

Some coax cables have hollow insulation between the conductor and the outer screen, and water can penetrate at the aerial and come all the way down the cable via the air gaps.

Our telly's playing up. We have to keep re routing it to get the ITV channels. It hasn't been right since the strong wind a couple of weeks ago. The sound also goes off if you switch the channels more than a few times. These things aren't made to last like the old tellies were!
You probably checked, but ... aerial blown off the chimney stack? :whistle:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's digital compression and error correction that's the issue. Back in the good old analogue days, the signal would get a bit flakey, go to black and white, look like a blizzard , then the sound would crap out and finally it all fell over.
Now, the error correction works harder and harder, with you blissfully unaware, until finally it gives up and the picture goes all blocky and stops. But at least it happens to all the channels on that multiplex, rather than just to BBC2 or whatever...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have never seen that myself, but I once read about a TV engineer being called out and finding a VCR full of water from just that cause!

Some coax cables have hollow insulation between the conductor and the outer screen, and water can penetrate at the aerial and come all the way down the cable via the air gaps.

You probably checked, but ... aerial blown off the chimney stack? :whistle:

No it's still there and pointing in the same direction as the others. Though there was a small aluminium object in the yard after the winds. Perhaps it's off the aerial?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3505922, member: 259"]Because it gives us free video phone calls to our kids in Japan and Malaysia?[/QUOTE]
Have to say, my eldest has just gone off for her gap year travels in New Zealand, and while it was nice to see her and make sure she'd arrived safely and all that, I have to admit to feeling a little rueful about the lack of 'separateness'...when I went travelling, I was travelling. Communication was slow, intermittent, and conducted via weird blue paper...and it was great! Now I'm a little worried that she's going to be so constantly in touch that it will, in a way, detract from the experience of being away.
Grumpy old bugger, ain't I?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have to say, my eldest has just gone off for her gap year travels in New Zealand, and while it was nice to see her and make sure she'd arrived safely and all that, I have to admit to feeling a little rueful about the lack of 'separateness'...when I went travelling, I was travelling. Communication was slow, intermittent, and conducted via weird blue paper...and it was great! Now I'm a little worried that she's going to be so constantly in touch that it will, in a way, detract from the experience of being away.
Grumpy old bugger, ain't I?
I understand that exactly!

With mobiles, and SKYPE, bloody Facebook, and Twitter, nobody seems to want to just get on and have an adventure and tell their family and mates about it when they get back!

We are becoming a world of ant-like people constantly sending little signals out to each other so the whole lot can function as one mega-colony. I prefer the concept of a world occupied by rugged individuals who go out and do their own thing, and come back when they have finished!

jhawk

Veteran
CNNMoney also hates technology. Hasn't figured out URL editing yet, obviously.

10498427_10153072361156499_8636563207001444117_o.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I understand that exactly!

With mobiles, and SKYPE, bloody Facebook, and Twitter, nobody seems to want to just get on and have an adventure and tell their family and mates about it when they get back!

We are becoming a world of ant-like people constantly sending little signals out to each other so the whole lot can function as one mega-colony. I prefer the concept of a world occupied by rugged individuals who go out and do their own thing, and come back when they have finished!
My Kelty backpack is still hanging up in the garage, a reminder.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3505922, member: 259"]Because it gives us free video phone calls to our kids in Japan and Malaysia?[/QUOTE]

It has its upsides, but I'm currently having to suffer daily disruptions with Skype video calls that just make me give up trying to do anything productive, I'd love to have an intermittent Internet connection right now.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It has its upsides, but I'm currently having to suffer daily disruptions with Skype video calls that just make me give up trying to do anything productive, I'd love to have an intermittent Internet connection right now.

I hardly ever use it for video calls, the broadband is rarely stable enough in both locations (or several locations if you're brave enough to attempt a group call). However, I love using Skype for the fact I can call internationally or make calls home when overseas for about 1p/minute. Rang a mobile in China this morning, call cost me all of 10p

Top Bottom