I broke a spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
First time it has ever happened to me. It's on the rear and the break is on the sprocket end. Normally I try to fix things myself, make a Horlicks of it, then ask someone for help, so this time I'm asking for help first.

What do I do?

simon.r

Person
Buy new spoke of appropriate:

- length - a decent LBS should tell you what you need if you tell them the hub / rim / drive side or not.
- type - butted / plain gauge
- colour.

Remove old spoke by wiggling it out (you may need to remove the cassette).
Remove nipple.
Fit new spoke (re-use the old nipple) - adjust until the tension feels about the same as all the others and keep checking that you're not pulling the wheel out of true.

Depending in the type of rim tape you have fitted you may need to replace that as well - although probably not recommended a couple of layers of good insulation tape will work if you have rim tape that is stuck to the rim and you just pierce a hole big in it big enough to remove / replace the spoke.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cheers. I'll go out and measure the spoke in a bit. Couldn't seem to get the nipple off earlier mind.

simon.r

Person
Cheers. I'll go out and measure the spoke in a bit. Couldn't seem to get the nipple off earlier mind.

You should be able to remove the nipple and broken spoke through the rim together, then grip the spoke with mole grips and use a screwdriver to remove the nipple. Not the end of the world if you can't, just use a new nipple.

Top Bottom