I can recomend a GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Garmin Vista GPs that I use for cycle touring and at work to give me an idea of where I am on the ground at any time.

Last week at work I dropped it and in the hour before I found it was run over by one of these at least three times and by these at least 8 times.

Having discovered that I was sans GPS I searched all the obvious places I had been and was already considering what to replace it with (62st sounds nice) when I carried out one last search of the place I was most unlikely to find it – the fill area – lo and behold I spotted the little yellow neoprene case it was attached to on top of the fill - when I tugged at the case the nylon lanyard attached to the GPS snapped – so armed with a spade I dug where the lanyard disappeared and extracted a six inch cube of clay into which the lanyard disappeared – peeling off the clay there was the GPS.

1-R0012781.JPG

A push of the on off button and it booted up no problem. A thorough wash and you can hardly tell that it had had an adventure.

Probably the saving grace was that one of the trucks had run it over at least once and embedded it before the metal tracks of the bulldozer got there.

so if you want a GPS for touring - I can heartily recomend the Vista on grounds of durability at least :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nice one Psmiffy ^_^

I can also recommend the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. Mine came off the motorbike at about 40mph, bounced off the floor, overtaking me in the process and I clipped it as I passed it. But when I picked it up there was a tiny scuff on the ariel which has wiped away. Still works and looks like new.

Steve

OP
OP
psmiffy
Nice one Psmiffy ^_^

I can also recommend the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. Mine came off the motorbike at about 40mph, bounced off the floor, overtaking me in the process and I clipped it as I passed it. But when I picked it up there was a tiny scuff on the ariel which has wiped away. Still works and looks like new.

Steve

Mine has survived a couple of reasonably fast unclipped moments - once coming down off a mountain at a speed slightly faster than your motorbike - strange tho how they actually seem to go faster than you and you can see them hanging in the air a couple of meters in front of you before air resistance and gravity comes into play and you overtake them - I had a similar happening with a camera - when I ran it over it was quite exciting ^_^

The garmins are very robust tho - the previous incarnation of mine (Hc - replaced due to an unfortunent encounter with the teeth of the bucket of a JCB after I buried it by accident in a 4m deep pit:sad: ) was run over by a taxi outside Bush house with no ill effects ^_^

My Vista was submerged twice on my last tour due to floods.
I found out the hard way that when the water is over the top of the wheels, the trike floats ...... :rolleyes:
The first time I was on the trike and I had to get off in the flood, the second time I got off and just pushed the trike through the flood.
So both times the Garmin ended up underwater as its mounted on the frame, with no trouble afterward.

lpretro1

Mine has stayed very secure so far on the bumpiest of trails (Garmin Edge 800) - I have been impressed with that as I ws sceptical when I bought it - mainly for road use but now using it on mtb trails too. However, occasionally it changes pages without being asked. It has the touch screen so I guess certain vibrations must cause this. Its no big deal it works fine and you just reselect the page

Crankarm

Guru
Anyone got a SatMap? A colleague at work has just got one and can't stop going on about it. Are they any good? As far as I can make out it uses OS Mapping 1:50k. I have no knowledge of GPS for bikes.

Anyone got a SatMap? A colleague at work has just got one and can't stop going on about it. Are they any good? As far as I can make out it uses OS Mapping 1:50k. I have no knowledge of GPS for bikes.

I have been using a Satmap for a few years now, both for route following whilst cycling, and as a location check against a paper map when I am in the Hills and mountains, I too rave about its, however it has it faults, sometime it takes forever to lock on to the Satellites, the trick is to remove the map disk until its locked onto the Satellites, then replace the map disk. the second Problem can be seeing the screen when the sun is strong which is a well known fault. But once it locked on to the Satellites it great, sometime it working to one or two meters and when you upload the track to memory map it in most cases has tracked the line of a track and trail spot on. Best stop now or I will go on and on about how great it is..LOL

Crankarm

Guru
I have been using a Satmap for a few years now, both for route following whilst cycling, and as a location check against a paper map when I am in the Hills and mountains, I too rave about its, however it has it faults, sometime it takes forever to lock on to the Satellites, the trick is to remove the map disk until its locked onto the Satellites, then replace the map disk. the second Problem can be seeing the screen when the sun is strong which is a well known fault. But once it locked on to the Satellites it great, sometime it working to one or two meters and when you upload the track to memory map it in most cases has tracked the line of a track and trail spot on. Best stop now or I will go on and on about how great it is..LOL

So it wouldn't be a waste of cash?

So it wouldn't be a waste of cash?

Depends what you want from a GPS, I never bought mine for cycling I bought it for Mountaineering, I had been using a Garmin Etrex for Cycling but with the 1:25000 maps which are availble for the satmap somehow it ended up on the handlebars, but it is quite bulky. it is also fairly tough, but i don't know it it would survive a dump truck running over it i think best you reseach and compare it with other makes and what your requirement are.

Top Bottom