I can't believe it's 531

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mearle

Veteran
So, I bought a frameset off ebay advertised as reynolds 531 to replace my recently expired 531 commuter (cracked seattube). Having received it, it is definitely heavier than my old frameset, and when I got around to building it up, I found the 27.2mm seatpin didn't fit, neither did a spare 27.0mm. In fact measuring the seattube diameter, it looks like I need to aquire a 26.8mm seatpin.
Having done a bit of research (http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20650 was useful) everything indicates that it can't be 531 at all.
The frame had been resprayed and has a "531 renovated" sticker on it, put on by the framebuilder who did the respray (Nelson), and having spoken to them about what this means, they said that it meant that the customer had asked for it, and that it was no guarantee that the frame was 531.:smile:

So I'm planning to dispute this with the seller via paypal.

Is there any possibility that I am wrong, and has anybody ever disputed an ebay purchase via paypal ?

Mr Pig

mearle said:
has anybody ever disputed an ebay purchase via paypal ?

Yes. It takes ages but I think you would win. You would need to be able to prove that the frame was not what the seller claimed it was.

Contact the seller first and detail your issues. Give him the chance to sort it out. VERY IMPORTIANT, communicate ONLY through eBay private messages so that eBay/Paypal have a record of them.

MartinC

Über Member
You need to be careful. There were many 531 tubesets - including a single butted (as opposed to the double butted 531C) set that took a 26.8 seatpin. I know I had one. It was a very good training frame and I loved it - after I'd had about 15 years and a couple of re-sprays I gave it to a friend who had many more years of use out of it. So it could well be 531 and it could well be a good frame.

bonj2

I think you need to remember that eBay isn't a shop, and that you take your chances. Be happy with it. Why does it matter that it isn't 531?

samid

Guru
To add another anecdotal evidence, I have a 753 frame with 26.8 seat post diameter. So your "531" could even be a higher-end grade of steel than you thought ;)

asterix

Comrade Member
Having read the other thread, I'd like to point out that 531ST is a good quality tubeset used for touring bikes. I have one and it's a very nice bike to ride partly because it's stiffer than 531 and that makes a difference on a 62cm frame. It might be a bit heavier but that doesn't worry me.

WRT 531 stickers, you can buy them off ebay. I did this for my 531ST frame before it was re-enamelled and when I got the frame back I stuck 'em on. Naturally I would only do this for a frame if I knew its material, otherwise I could have stuck 531c on or the like.

OTW I think the quest to shave weight off a bike is way overdone and just very a nice earner for component makers.

OP
OP
M

mearle

Veteran
Alright, thanks for your replies, all. I guess I'd better hold fire, hunt down a 26.8 seatpin and see how it rides.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my 531 steel frame is definitely not 27.2, but got the lbs to find the right size; 26.8 sounds about right.

Manonabike

Über Member
bonj said:
I think you need to remember that eBay isn't a shop, and that you take your chances. Be happy with it. Why does it matter that it isn't 531?

Rubbish!!! eBay has rules about descriptions and if something was incorrectly described then Paypal would make the seller refund the winning price and the p&p cost. In fact, only today I was notified by paypal that my claim for a wrongly described item that I won was awarded in my favour, the process took about 4 days but I guess this would depend on how difficult is to prove the case one way or the other.

Now, reading the posts here, your case is not as clear cut as you thought and I doubt you have a case.

bonj2

Manonabike said:
Rubbish!!! eBay has rules about descriptions and if something was incorrectly described then Paypal would make the seller refund the winning price and the p&p cost. In fact, only today I was notified by paypal that my claim for a wrongly described item that I won was awarded in my favour, the process took about 4 days but I guess this would depend on how difficult is to prove the case one way or the other.

Now, reading the posts here, your case is not as clear cut as you thought and I doubt you have a case.

And what about the poor seller? Where does he fit into this? Don't you care about him? Because he's obviously a billionaire entrepeneur sitting on a yacht raking in thousands a day from old frames made of tin by describing them as 531 every day isn't he?

The fact is the seller sold it as 531 because he reasonably believed that it was. Therefore to claim the money back would be unfairly stitching him up.
In my opinion, when you buy something second hand you take a bit of a chance, and to then take advantage of ebay's rules in order to force the seller to give you a refund just because what you got isn't 100% perfect is a bit of a selfish, take-take-take attitude - while it may be legally right, I don't think it's morally right.
ebay/paypal *always* acts in favour of the buyer, largely because they need to retain their confidence, as the buyers can more easily go somewhere else than sellers can - all in the name of profit, nothing to do with being fair.

Top Bottom