I Can't Find The Thread About Mobile Sim Card For A Child?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
There was a thread on here and I can't find it, fairly recently about the same thing I've got a phone for my daughters 10th birthday. I just wondered the same as the thread I'm referring to, regarding SIM only, monthly SIM contract.

I don't want to spend a fortune each month and I want to put a cap on it, if its a monthly one. Something I can manage, if its pay as you go I know its not an issue. I think these are more expensive though for data etc. Parental controls would be nice.

If somebody could advise, or the OP of the other thread paste a link. Thanks...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a plusnet sim (piggybacks on EE) for my 12 year old daughter, unlimited calls, unlimited text and 1.5GB per month for £5. I don't think it is that cheap anymore, but they often do deals. I have a £1 cap on any extras, after that she would need to use her pocket money, so far she never has. I use Screen Time which is part of iOS for parent controls, but really it is a question about trust and understanding more than it is about controls.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I have a plusnet sim (piggybacks on EE) for my 12 year old daughter, unlimited calls, unlimited text and 1.5GB per month for £5. I don't think it is that cheap anymore, but they often do deals. I have a £1 cap on any extras, after that she would need to use her pocket money, so far she never has. I use Screen Time which is part of iOS for parent controls, but really it is a question about trust and understanding more than it is about controls.
We do the same. My daughter is very aware of data usage. She almost never goes over her limit. WiFi is your friend.
The actual phone is the big cost. Peer pressure is a big thing when you are 12!! Anything less than an iPhone 6 is yesterday’s technology.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We do the same. My daughter is very aware of data usage. She almost never goes over her limit. WiFi is your friend.
The actual phone is the big cost. Peer pressure is a big thing when you are 12!! Anything less than an iPhone 6 is yesterday’s technology.

Luckily I get hand me downs from work and my daughter is not yet at the age where 'status' matters. Having said that, she has been dropping hints a bit about an iPhone 7.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Thanks for the advice I'll have a look at plusnet. The parental controls are really for google or any search engine, it can be done accidentally searching and seeing inappropraite images etc. I do use a paid for service on her devices, Qustodio. She wanted an Iphone X, no way, I'm not paying for that. I got an immaculate used Oneplus 6 8GB ram, 256 GB storage, Android Phone. It's a fantastic phone, I'm really impressed with it. No bloatware at all, massive screen and lightning fast

tom73

Guru
iPhone be my pick iOS just makes it simple to monitor things. But what ever you go for empower her to make the right choices and how to deal with things that technology brings. You can't protect from the bad stuff for ever but you can help set her up with the skills and knowledge she's going to need now and in the future.
Smarty mobile maybe worth a look it's owned by three start at about 6 quid. Unused data you get back as cash credit of your next month.

Top Bottom