I chose Land Girl in the end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aperitif said:
OT John, nice to see that you drove to the top of 'le Col' with your bike in the back, presumably freewheeled down as a warm up, and then returned upwards to your car - original and sensible! ;):angry:

Really struggled to find a bike rack that wouldn't melt from the heat from the rear engine vents. Found one this year and can now carry the bike as well as the wife. That was a cold day at the top of the Col - we passed packed snow by the road side on the way up in early June. The road crews were out while we were there making good for le Tour.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
SamNichols said:
Also, he's wearing brown shoes, not the standard RAF mirror-shined oxfords.
Still, I am extremely impressed by all of the effort that you both went to, I find that fancy-dress parties are my worst of all parties. I feel uncomfortable enough at parties without having to wear someone else's clothes.

New Years Eve this year is tarts and vicars. I plan to go as the Pope.

What, Hitler Youth?:smile::evil:

SamNichols said:
Also, he's wearing brown shoes, not the standard RAF mirror-shined oxfords.
Still, I am extremely impressed by all of the effort that you both went to, I find that fancy-dress parties are my worst of all parties. I feel uncomfortable enough at parties without having to wear someone else's clothes.

New Years Eve this year is tarts and vicars. I plan to go as the Pope.

Ah! Nichols and (carpe) diems...again. No pontificating either, your holiness :smile:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
With regard to the uniform, he did say at the outset that he'd buy a drink for the first person to spot the 5 errors. Shoes, rank on arms, belt (it's actually Army Medical Corp apparently), polished visor on cap and buttons (it's a recent cadet's tunic, so has Queen buttons, not King). I did get them all, by judicious use of guessing at likely things that were wrong and letting him tell me the detail... I got a free manhattan out of it!

Tim, good point about the uniform and archaeology. Cloth is a rare survivor, and there's a lot of conjecture goes into it - which is fine if you make that point and can get people to understand that it's conjecture.

Simon just popped into say hello, he's here for a conference (I'm just putting off doing Chirstmas shopping), and said he got funny looks on the train in - he was wearing his sheepkin flying jacket and reading the birthday present he got from a friend last week - the Haynes manual for a Spitfire! (The plane, not the car). Apparently each wing was held on by 7 bolts...

It was a fun evening, I like fancy dress - especially if I can be subtle, or subvert it a bit.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
I take it this is the same Simon on whose behalf I provided you with the you-know-what for his little 'project'. Nice to be able to put a face to the recipient. Charming piccy of the both of you.:tongue:

Yes, indeed it is. Sadly, his other half was on a training course, or she'd have come along, and I expect her costume would have been very good.

Top Bottom