I don't get Amazon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I want to buy this book but can you explain why advertisers would expect anyone yo pay £47.76 when you could pay £14.99?:wacko:

What are you after rich...another copy of "It's Not About The Book" ? ;)

longers

Legendary Member
And you can get a second hand one in acceptable condition for even cheaper.

Is this a recipe book for your next dinner party?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Turning all serious for a moment, my best guess is that there are a number of second-hand book dealers whose business model is to buy up libraries at, say, 2p per book. As long as they can sell more than one in 2,500 for £50 a pop they've made money. It costs effectively nothing to put books up for sale on Amazon - a cheap barcode reader and a freebie ISBN database will do all the hard work for you, so there's no particular incentive to price sensibly. You could probably even write a programme which will automatically discount each book until you get a sale or take the price below some pre-determined level. In these days of increased recycling there's almost certainly a market for the books that go for pulping, too.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
That's not the worst of it; it always amuses me when I see people trying to sell stuff on EBay for twice the price that you can buy it elsewhere!

E.g. I buy my bog paper in bulk of EBay because most of it costs a fraction of what the supermarkets charge, but I always see astonishing things there - last time it was some chap trying to sell a 4-pack of bog roll for £10. I shoot ye not.

Top Bottom