I don't own a Smartphone. Would a Garmin Edge 810 be wasted on me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
As above get an 800 or a touring, no point paying for the extra features on the 810 that you won't use

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a smartphone and have no idea how to operate it.

I also have a Garmin Edge touring and it is great.

As an ex map reading instructor. I have never found a decent map that can direct me to the nearest accommodation, eating place, petrol station for snacks or campsite. I carry maps for an overview, but they do not compare to a cycle GPS.

young Ed

Veteran
I may as well fess up! My two PCs are on XP and the laptop is Windows 7..

I'm seriously bad. Will anything work with that lot?:smile:
garmin express (the garmin program to upload to garmin connect (their logging website) by simply plugging in the device) may or may not work on your xp but will definitely work with your windows 7 laptop :smile:

i reckon as you don't need the cadence and HRM save your self £100 and just get touring rather than 800
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Opt for a 800, refurb on ebay, cab be had for less than £140.
can't see any for that money, come to that can't really see any advertised as refurbished
wouldn't mind a 500 if i were to get a turbo and that could be purely for the turbo as for the turbo i would need cadence

could you show us?
Cheers Ed

User269

I'm sorry to trouble you good people but I know very little about GPS systems. Much as I love paper maps and map reading, I think I might try GPS for the first time. I would like to pre-load maps and other peoples' routes, and get route instructions along the way, as well as downloading my actual route to my own computer afterwards. I have zero interest in "sharing" anything at all on social media. I don't own a Smartphone.

Well, that's the background. Do you think that I would be foolish to buy a Garmin 810, given that I just want to plug it into my laptop/desktop by a copper lead? (Can I even use copper????)

Thank you.

If you don't need the smartphone link function, get the 800 or Touring Plus. There's no advantage with the 810 unless you want to spend more money than you need to. Personally, I prefer the mapping on the 800 over the Touring.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you don't want the heart rate, cadence, race the bike etc stuff. Buy a Garmin touring like I did. They are usually cheaper and will do what you want. With the Touring you can sit on a PC and through a variety of programmes you can plot the exact route that you want to ride. You then download it into the touring and you get a turn by turn ride as you would with a car GPS.

There are many topics on here about which Route programmes are best, the faults of all GPS devices etc etc.

Once you have got a GPS we will all help to get you going.

young Ed

Veteran
As above I'd get a 800

Keep your eye on handtec as they often have the NOH (newly overhauled(refurbished)) units in

http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps/cycling-gps.html?p=1
thanks for that link, looks like some good deals on there. you ever dealt with them?
for OP, this one might be the one for you at only £120
http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps/cycling-gps/garmin-edge-touring.html
Be aware of the important differences between Touring and Touring Plus.
as far as i'm aware it's just that the touring plus can support a heart rate monitor?
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom