I don't want to be a messenger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
This video is five years old and seems to get reposted every few months to the same reactions.

Could we just leave it, please?

Adasta

You've erroneously posited that the OP has seen it before and is posting it again. It's much more likely the OP had only seen it once and felt like sharing it.

I've seen it countless times as well. However, I don't think the sentiment behind a comment like this will be transmitted via an intuitive web of consciousness to unspecified would-be posters of the future, warding them away from posting the video once again.

More's the pity.

Tynan

Veteran
yuk yuk

I think it's absolutely outstanding, assuming it's London Calling, nearly as good at the NYC one, repect to all taking part

and I laugh, LAUGH, at people making pissy remarks about it while clearly having no idea what it's about

Jezston

Über Member
yuk yuk

I think it's absolutely outstanding, assuming it's London Calling, nearly as good at the NYC one, repect to all taking part

and I laugh, LAUGH, at people making pissy remarks about it while clearly having no idea what it's about

I know what its about, and I'm sure most people here do. They are alleycat races where bike messengers and other riders ride between points in the fastest time possible, in a completely selfish and dangerous fashion, putting their own safety and the safety of other road users around them, including other cyclists, and pedestrians in danger. And they don't give a toss because they think they are cool and hardcore or something, and they overtly hold everyone else around them in utter contempt.

Buddfox

Veteran
You've erroneously posited that the OP has seen it before and is posting it again. It's much more likely the OP had only seen it once and felt like sharing it.

I've seen it countless times as well. However, I don't think the sentiment behind a comment like this will be transmitted via an intuitive web of consciousness to unspecified would-be posters of the future, warding them away from posting the video once again.

More's the pity.

+1

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This video is five years old and seems to get reposted every few months to the same reactions.

Repost of things like this is part of being on a fourn.
Fair enough if it cropped up several times a week.

Nicked from Lucas Brunelle's website. It was uploaded in June 2007 before Lucas Brunelle had joined YouTube and three years before he uploaded it to his YouTube channel in June 2010.
Indeed, some of his early stuff is not hosted on YouTube. I linked to it because for the non techie it is hard to find :smile:

Buddfox

Veteran
I know what its about, and I'm sure most people here do.

Most but not all. Thankfully the forum attracts new members - I hadn't seen the video until I came on here, and the same will be true next month, and the month after that, for a long time, as new people get into commuting and come onto this forum. Is it really necessary to berate them for posting something which is clearly relevant in a commuting forum and of interest to those who have never seen it? If you've seen it before, there's no need to post an aggressive / rude comment, perhaps just let it go? We're all capable of reaching the conclusion that this is dangerous and by extension stupid.

Jezston

Über Member
Most but not all. Thankfully the forum attracts new members - I hadn't seen the video until I came on here, and the same will be true next month, and the month after that, for a long time, as new people get into commuting and come onto this forum. Is it really necessary to berate them for posting something which is clearly relevant in a commuting forum and of interest to those who have never seen it? If you've seen it before, there's no need to post an aggressive / rude comment, perhaps just let it go? We're all capable of reaching the conclusion that this is dangerous and by extension stupid.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to have a go at the OP, just expressing my weariness of the regular cycle of this video being posted and the inevitable fallout that occurs afterwards.

Side A: those cyclists are idiots.

Side B: no, those cyclists are awesome, YOU are an idiot.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to have a go at the OP, just expressing my weariness of the regular cycle of this video being posted and the inevitable fallout that occurs afterwards.

Side A: those cyclists are idiots.

Side B: no, those cyclists are awesome, YOU are an idiot.

Just walk on by then. To be honest, much of the content here is repetitions of Q&As or discussions that have been held many times before. If we took that all away there would not be a lot left to talk about.

OP
OP
exbfb

exbfb

I had never seen the video before.
I did however notice it was shot in 2007.

I guess being four years old, there was a chance it would have been shown before.

Being a relative newbie, it didn't occur to me to check before posting.

Cheers

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had never seen the video before.
I did however notice it was shot in 2007.

I guess being four years old, there was a chance it would have been shown before.

Being a relative newbie, it didn't occur to me to check before posting.

Cheers

It's alright. Don't listen to Jezston's whinging.... no one else does.
It does get posted now and again, but it's good to see again. Some cracking (naughty) cycling skills going on there. Though I would have punched out the cyclist if I was the ped that got hit near the end.

abo

A well-known clip.

Although they're acting like maniacs, their nihilistic freedom is somwhat exhilarating.

Yeah +1 like I commented on the clip, a small part of me thinks this is awesome, but if they rode like that while I was on a crossing they'd get side backfisted off their bike and wnd up with a busted lip and taco'd wheels.

You know the thing that gets me about this...

There will be managers and bosses sitting in their fancy cars moaning about "bloody cyclists" and complaining about this who use messenger services and would be steaming at the ears if an urgent package was 3 minutes late because of a red light and some roadworks.

There is a demand for this style of riding.

Tynan

Veteran
I know what its about, and I'm sure most people here do. They are alleycat races where bike messengers and other riders ride between points in the fastest time possible, in a completely selfish and dangerous fashion, putting their own safety and the safety of other road users around them, including other cyclists, and pedestrians in danger. And they don't give a toss because they think they are cool and hardcore or something, and they overtly hold everyone else around them in utter contempt.

it's not an alleycat race though is it, it's a one off show off set piece for Brunelle, presumably trying to outdo the NYC one

point proved

Top Bottom