I downloaded my 1st MP3 album purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
320k/b is high quality? Tolerable in the car would be more like it.
If you can hear the difference between 320kb/s and lossless, then I salute you. I probably couldn't hear the difference, since my hearing has been sub-standard since birth. It sounds good enough to me, so I'm not going to worry about whether it could be any better. I just want to enjoy listening to it.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If you can hear the difference between 320kb/s and lossless, then I salute you. I probably couldn't hear the difference, since my hearing has been sub-standard since birth. It sounds good enough to me, so I'm not going to worry about whether it could be any better. I just want to enjoy listening to it.

It is a big difference , and very noticeable if you A/B them. Around the difference between CD and cassette and I duff hearing. But I still listen to standard mp3's too.

Just stream everything and be done with it. It's liberating. Access to so much music, stuff you've never heard of that turns out to be amazing. You can start surfing music. Play an album you like then move on to similar albums or artists that people who like the first also like and carry on from there.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Just stream everything and be done with it. It's liberating. Access to so much music, stuff you've never heard of that turns out to be amazing. You can start surfing music. Play an album you like then move on to similar albums or artists that people who like the first also like and carry on from there.

Surfing music, now you're talking.

I use iTunes with an Apple iPad. Works very well. You can also import your existing CDs into your iTunes library. Buying on Amazon might be a bit cheaper though.

Worst bit of software from apple i have ever used. The latest is even less usable.
I dont like the fact that they force you to reload every bloody song if you change pc/laptop.
Ive yet to work out any other way of doing it.

Its not for me.

I like drag and drop simplicity :

I imported a lot of CDs, but only used iTunes for a while. Eventually, I got fed up with the fact that Apple forces you to use proprietary software just to do the import, and switched to Winamp. Then later (about a year ago), I switched to Linux, and switched the entire collection over to Amarok. For a portable music player, I use the iBasso DX-50 (a South Korean brand): it's handy, because 'importing' is little more than copying the music files onto its memory card, then using its touch screen interface to select the music and add it to the internal collection, so no proprietary software there, either.

This :okay:

lutonloony

Über Member
Sorry if this is a high jack. For the hard of learning, can my learned colleagues talk me through two things, or point me in right direction.
Best option for getting all of my CDs converted and stored so that I don't lose it all when laptop dies.
If streaming, I assume I can't store any of it?

TIA

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You guys really ought to get with it, us cool cats have moved onto the latest tech. Check out this piece of fab gear, Daddy Oh!

8 track.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
MP3? What's one of those ... :laugh:

It's all streamed in our house. We worked it out that for the £10 per month we pay for the streaming service we could only get 10 or so new albums per year, maybe a few more if we bought second-hand; the subscription, on the other hand, means we have access to much, much more music and can sample albums from artists we don't know, play our favourite tracks over and over and over, set our track lists to a selection of only the "good" tracks from albums we love, and with our SONOS do it all differently in different rooms.

It's not everyone's cup of tea though and I can see the value of having a CD or MP3 handy, especially when you're out of reach of WiFi. ^_^

I've just streamed the ablum and it's quite relaxing - sort of an electronic Clannad meets Himalayan pan piper?

That's what I worked out too. We pay £15 a month which gives 4 users access. So that's me missus and kids . We can have Spotify on multiple devices and it transfers seamlessly from phone to iPad to laptop . Download the albums to phone over wifi and as long as the phone" handshakes " with Spotify once a day it's a great way of having music on the move .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Shut Up Legs
Next time you want some jewel cases. Give my friend Graeme at Planet Records in Sidney a call. tell him you're a friend of mine and ask if he has any spare he can send you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry if this is a high jack. For the hard of learning, can my learned colleagues talk me through two things, or point me in right direction.
Best option for getting all of my CDs converted and stored so that I don't lose it all when laptop dies.
If streaming, I assume I can't store any of it?

TIA

If you laptop is a PC then you can rip your CD's to MP3 or WMA format. It will then be stored on your Laptop's hard drive. You can then back them up to a stand alone back up hardrive You can also upload your music to the cloud. I use Google Play. I have all my record collection uploaded and available to play where ever and when ever I have internet connection. Through my mobile, my tablet, work computer or any electronic that you can connect to the web and stream music.

Drago

Legendary Member

I can indeed! Its my eyesight that's fading with age :sad:

Top Bottom