I feel very sorry for Andy Kershaw - do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

He's certainly a deeply troubled soul.

Danny

Legendary Member
Agree - much as I miss his radio show, he clearly has a lot of issues to sort out.

I actually feel much more sorry for Gil Scott Heron, the talented black American singer, who has just been released after 10 years in prison for relatively minor drug offences related to his acknowledged addictions.

If he had been a white singer like Britney Spears he would have been packed off to some expensive rehab facility. One can only suspect that the fact that he has been locked up for 10 years is not unrelated to the fact that he is black and very political.

There was an interesting item about him on this mornings Today programme on Radio 4 which I assume is still available on listen again.

ChrisKH

Guru
Andy Kershaw along with John Peel is one of the few things Radio 1 had going for them. Whilst I didn't/don't necessarily like everything they played (come on John, Blur weren't that good) , I used to marvel at the variety.

Reading an article about Andy today, it would appear his behaviour if it had been on the UK mainland wouldn't have led to a term in prison (they're full anyway). It's only because it happened on the Isle of Man that it was treated so severely. Let's face it how far can you go to avoid your wife living on an Island? I daresay he's been a bit of a wally about his wife/ex-wife but I'm glad he's staying on the Isle to ensure he can see his children. Men need greater rights in this area. But that's another thread altogether.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dannyg said:
I actually feel much more sorry for Gil Scott Heron, the talented black American singer, who has just been released after 10 years in prison for relatively minor drug offences related to his acknowledged addictions.
Not quite the 10yr continuous that you suggest, but.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Scott-Heron
very sad, though. Used to see him a lot in the 80s/early 90s... fantastic shows, great music.... sad that he fell prey to the very drugs he was so anti...

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Did you know that Andy Kershaw was an anagram of Shady self-gratification artist?

trio25

Über Member
Sounds horrible, I think till you have been somewhere near where he is now it can be hard to understand that actually he is ill. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Top Bottom