I finally have a Higgins.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I finally have a Higgins but it needs a little work :whistle:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks great. Looking forward to seeing your build. Keep the posts and pics coming.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
What is it that you like so much about the racing trikes? How did you get hooked?

Good question, I was initially just curious but after expressing interest on the On3wheels forum I was offered a Longstaff conversion axle and a quick spin on a Higgins which turned out to be great fun probably helped by the fact that I used to have a sidecar outfit so had some experience with a 3 wheeler, so I built up a trike and went from there (I now have 5 :whistle: ) What do I like about racing trikes ? It's different, no one has ever said "It's easy, just like riding a trike" Riding a trike is a full body workout as you can never really relax as a good trike is almost alive underneath you needing near constant adjustment as it reacts to the wind, road surface, camber, pot holes or the phases of the moon ^_^ there can be moments of sheer terror when you misjudge a descent or corner and moments of exhilaration when you manage to judge it just right and as @raleighnut says "Any trike is good fun"

Paul
My first trike Taurus 531c with Longstaff conversion axle.
trike1.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good question, I was initially just curious but after expressing interest on the On3wheels forum I was offered a Longstaff conversion axle and a quick spin on a Higgins which turned out to be great fun probably helped by the fact that I used to have a sidecar outfit so had some experience with a 3 wheeler, so I built up a trike and went from there (I now have 5 :whistle: ) What do I like about racing trikes ? It's different, no one has ever said "It's easy, just like riding a trike" Riding a trike is a full body workout as you can never really relax as a good trike is almost alive underneath you needing near constant adjustment as it reacts to the wind, road surface, camber, pot holes or the phases of the moon ^_^ there can be moments of sheer terror when you misjudge a descent or corner and moments of exhilaration when you manage to judge it just right and as @raleighnut says "Any trike is good fun"

Paul
My first trike Taurus 531c with Longstaff axle conversion.
View attachment 709877

Yep, forget everything you knew about riding a bike they behave totally different. my tip (well one of them) is let the trike 'move about' under you, don't try and fight it cos it will win. The other main thing is never EVER put your feet down unless you're getting off

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ooh, interesting. And it has a real differential. Of course diffs became obsolete for a reason.

I remember George Longstaff saying that Higgins' fillet-brazing was as good as his, though he had to add 'but then I finish mine' - though from the photo those fillets do look 'finished'. I've seen other Higgins frames where the fillets are left 'au naturel'.

It'll be interesting to see the restoration & build. Gears or single-speed/fixed?

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Ooh, interesting. And it has a real differential. Of course diffs became obsolete for a reason.

I remember George Longstaff saying that Higgins' fillet-brazing was as good as his, though he had to add 'but then I finish mine' - though from the photo those fillets do look 'finished'. I've seen other Higgins frames where the fillets are left 'au naturel'.

It'll be interesting to see the restoration & build. Gears or single-speed/fixed?

I was thinking 5 speed with the option to go to fixed if I felt brave enough. Just trying to figure out what was available to the discerning trikie in 1964 .

I like riding fixed and I like riding trikes but I think combining the two takes away the fun aspects of both. You can’t hang out really hard in a fast corner (because pedalling) and you don’t just flow along (because trike jiggling under you).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I like riding fixed and I like riding trikes but I think combining the two takes away the fun aspects of both. You can’t hang out really hard in a fast corner (because pedalling) and you don’t just flow along (because trike jiggling under you).

I rode a fixed trike for a year back in the 80s. Mostly commuting, but club rides as well. I developed double-jointed knees and an extensive vocabulary of obscene swear-words.

Top Bottom