i give up lol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chonkers

Is there some magic way to fit 700/23 tyres on wheels ive done loads of chunky tyres and 700/25 but give up trying to put new tyres on the new wheels i bought for whatever reason they just wont go on nearly even launched the wheels at one point

cheers

Ian

Chris S

Legendary Member
This has been discussed in the Know How forum - you might have more luck asking the question there.

One solution was to sprinkle the rims with talcum powder to help easy the tyre in to place.

Another was to put the tyre on without the inner tube inserted, leave it for a few hours, take it off and try again.

I take it you are starting at the valve and just working your way round, if after on circuit its not in, dont worry just continue to work your way round and it'll pop in. If its any consolation any new tyres I've had have always been a budgery guard to fit initially but when on road and I've needed to fix p'tures they've been surprisingly easy.

I know the feeling, I have had the same problem many times, once you have fitted them for the first time they then go on ok after that.
I normally smear a little washing up liguid onto the edge of the tyre, then ease it on, I try not to use tyre levers unleas I need tto just pop the last little bit, over the edge.
I would also sleghtly inflate your inner tube so as to reduce the chance of pinching it.
before inflating the tyre fully remember to wash the washing up liquied off.
Hope that helps.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Some rim/tyre combinations are just bastard difficult. I've never had one that wouldn't go on eventually- you need to master your levers, feel the tyre, communicate with it and coax it on. If you get narky with it it'll resist, perhaps even throw a tyre lever into your eye.

I have heard that the talc thing works too.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I always put the tyre on the wheel with no inner tube first. And leave it for an hour or two. This helps stretch the beed into a good position.
Then put the tube in and continue as normal.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Get some good tyre levers - Pedros - when you get to the stage in the video before using the straps etc you simply lever the tyre on in 10 secs.

Pedros are really big chunky things and will lever any tyre on any rim.

OP
OP
chonkers

chonkers

Thanks for all the replys and advice i managed to get them gone in the end just kept going back to them when i calmed down lol that has to be the hardest tyre chchanges ive ever had to do took 4 hrs in the end and no skin on thumbs left hope to god i dont get a puncture

cheers

ian

Top Bottom