I have a bike but is it suitable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxfox44

What a great update. @holly1234 I started mid-Feb and I've done 18 days now. I take comfort in the fact that I don't have to do it. The car is always ready, should it be really bad weather or illness.
Set a goal and give yourself a reward at the end of it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For the last 2 days i have been commuting on a rigid MTB rather than a road bike and once you get up to speed its not that slower than a roadie, its just the hills where the weight kills you and you work a little harder keeping the pace up .Over 10 mile commute im about 2 minutes slower but more knackered.

maxfox44

@cyberknight That's interesting you're only losing about 2mins over 10 miles. I'm considering a new bike to replace this 25 yo mtb, but if the gains are so small, I might save my cash and mod the old girl to reduce weight a little.

Ganymede

Veteran
@cyberknight That's interesting you're only losing about 2mins over 10 miles. I'm considering a new bike to replace this 25 yo mtb, but if the gains are so small, I might save my cash and mod the old girl to reduce weight a little.
I ride a hybrid with quite thick tyres due to the appalling road quality where I am (rural). I looked at getting a roadie but have been put off by all the tales of punctures - I've gone down a completely different route riding a recumbent as my n+1 and it is great fun and easier on the neck muscles for me. The hybrid is a really useful utility bike and I can easily carry bags/shopping etc too. Speed and weight are considerations, but bomb-proofness is really what floats my boat!

Last edited:
I used a Specialized Hardrock for commuting to work for years all I changed was the tyres for slicks .
Same here. Well for a year or so anyway, and through the depths of winter in place of my then new road bike. Had slicks on and locked out forks. It was the bike that restarted my interest in cycling. I even used it at weekends and in holidays for racking up the miles. Not uncommon to do thirty + milers on it, so perfectly adequate for a seven mile commute.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have an older Specialized Hardrock, and it does the job quite well. I like the bike for winter and early spring and late fall erands running and such. Road bikes in the the summer, when I use the Specialized for mountain biking, as it's a good XC machine.

flick161

Regular
Jumping on the back of this thread, I've been cycling for about a month now. I've got a mountain bike but find even the flattest of roads really challenging! My last ride for example, I couldn't manage more that 20mins and rode at a pace of a sloooowww 12km/hr.

I'm feeling really dis-heartened, so my question is, how much easier will I find it to ride a road bike than a mountain bike? Or should I just suck it up and get on with it on my current bike?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Jumping on the back of this thread, I've been cycling for about a month now. I've got a mountain bike but find even the flattest of roads really challenging! My last ride for example, I couldn't manage more that 20mins and rode at a pace of a sloooowww 12km/hr.

I'm feeling really dis-heartened, so my question is, how much easier will I find it to ride a road bike than a mountain bike? Or should I just suck it up and get on with it on my current bike?
If you have suspension try to lock it out if possible as it does suck power and look to change the tyres to less knobbly ones if you dont ride off road .
Something like ....
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-city-jet-mtb-tyre/

Switching to slick, high pressure 1.5" tyres will make a big difference.
If you can lockout your suspension, you should.
Check the riding position; MTBs can be almost as aerodynamic as road bikes if you adopt a lower bar height. The shape of road bars does not make them aerodynamic, it is the rider position.
If your bike is too big or too heavy it will never be nimble.

itchybeard

Hey
If you do enjoy the cycling then you will eventually upgrade the mountain bike shown, because you will feel the different of the bikes.
Its an introductory to commuting i feel.
You can and should change the tyres to more intermidiate tyres, more slicker but with some traction.
Cost, around £15-£19 each.

To use a car cliche, going from a heavy MTB to even just a mediocre road bike [drop handlebars recommended for defeating a head wind] is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Ferrari.

flick161

Regular
Have invested in some slicks, picking them up on Sunday. Gonna try again to drop the handlebars (stupid rusty bolt!)

Rusted quill stems (ie not modern threadless ones) often need an overnight soaking with WD40.
Make sure you use the right removal/lowering method for your style of stem and headset. I have seen people hit the vertical bolt of a modern threadless version. This can only wreck the internals.

Top Bottom