I have a Brompton M Type and I want to change the Handle Bar to P Type any help or Advice Please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BeaSTxUK

hello everyone this is my first post.

I have a Brompton M Type or H type not sure exactly and I have decided to change the Handlebar to P Type
Please check the Picture below to understand what i mean exactly
bromptonhandlebars.jpg

so what I mean exactly here is if i decided to buy the P Type Handlebar to change it with my H-Type or M-Type Brompton or Replace it is it going to be easy or i need someone professional or a bike expert to help me with ? please guys try to help me here as i wanted to do this for a very long time all i am worried about is the middle where it holds the handlebar to the mainframe but the handle breaks and and the gear shifter is easy i can do myself. but i want to know if i can take out my old handlebar and replace it with the p or h type is it going to be easy or what kind of methods do i need thanks.

Attachments

• bromptonhandlebars.jpg
    bromptonhandlebars.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,636

IBarrett

Über Member
There is a thread on a different forum where a guy has done what you are proposing only in reverse, so it should work.
I won't mention the forum but if you google what is below you will find it at the top of your list.
I held a spare M-bar next to a P-type

OP
OP
BeaSTxUK

BeaSTxUK

There is a thread on a different forum where a guy has done what you are proposing only in reverse, so it should work.
I won't mention the forum but if you google what is below you will find it at the top of your list.
I held a spare M-bar next to a P-type
thank you so much for your lovely reply and message but i was hopping if someone from this forum could tell me or would have done it not on somewhere else so please i am still in search for a proper and easier way for first timers. thanks.

OP
OP
BeaSTxUK

BeaSTxUK

I don't know if you've considered just fitting bar ends to your Brommie? Made all the difference to mine, such that I happily tour on it now.
hi the Doctor Thanks for your nice advice do you mean something like the picture
IMG_3801.jpg

817V2i4oHTL._SY355_.jpg

They are called ergon 2

have you tried these on yours or do you mind taking a picture please of your handle bars or the bar-ends that you put on your brommie so i can see how it looks on yours i will be thankful to you.

cheers mate.

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 451
  • 817V2i4oHTL._SY355_.jpg
    817V2i4oHTL._SY355_.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 218
OP
OP
BeaSTxUK

BeaSTxUK

I wish i could change my m type handlebar like this brompton in the picture its amazing.
IMG00388-20110312-1718.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00388-20110312-1718.jpg
    IMG00388-20110312-1718.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 921

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I'm a member of other forums and some people get the arse if you mention other forums/create links etc, so I was being careful not to upset anyone on my second day here.

Well I have posted the link as it has the information needed. Not to would be childish, in my opinion.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I’d like to switch and M to an H
The difference between M and H is the stem - the bars are identical. So you'd need a H-stem plus longer cables but can stick with your existing bars. The latter depends however a bit on the age of your bike and the age of the replacement stem: In 2017 Brompton changed the stems, making them a tad higher (M and H) while the bars became a little lower. Overall height is the same as before but you cannot combine a new post-2017 H or M stem with a pre 2017 bar as it would hit the ground in folded state. You can however go the other way round, using the newer bars on the older stems which offers the opportunity for heights between the standard ones offered by Brompton. Personally i.e. I habe been happily using a new M/H-bar on an old H-stem for years now, heightwise ending up in between M and H compared to Brompton's setup (slightly below H to be more concrete).
So if you catch a new H-stem (post 2017) you'd need the new bars as well. If you manage to grab a used pre 2017 model you can reuse your existing bars.

Top Bottom