I have a Brompton M Type and I want to change the Handle Bar to P Type any help or Advice Please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abh8

Thank you berlinonaut! Very thorough reply, this has demystified things a lot! Essentially I’m wondering how to get a slightly more upright riding position on the B75 which only comes with M bar/stem. NoW wondering if there is something that could be used to raise the stem, this might mean longer cables too which I’d be ok with as at some point I’d like to switch it from a 3 gear to 6. Any ideas?
I’m using the Brompton as a means to practise tinkering with/personalising bromptons and seeing how much I can learn/do myself.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thank you berlinonaut! Very thorough reply, this has demystified things a lot! Essentially I’m wondering how to get a slightly more upright riding position on the B75 which only comes with M bar/stem. NoW wondering if there is something that could be used to raise the stem, this might mean longer cables too which I’d be ok with as at some point I’d like to switch it from a 3 gear to 6. Any ideas?
I’m using the Brompton as a means to practise tinkering with/personalising bromptons and seeing how much I can learn/do myself.

I've seen some Brompton owners have used an " Aberhallo" 50mm stem extender to add a bit of height.
I had a quick look and the only source I could find was China / Taiwan

This chap used one on his S bars :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RdgsPYi1Hg

berlinonaut

Veteran
I’m wondering how to get a slightly more upright riding position on the B75 which only comes with M bar/stem. NoW wondering if there is something that could be used to raise the stem, this might mean longer cables too which I’d be ok with as at some point I’d like to switch it from a 3 gear to 6. Any ideas?
The B75 is the one exception from the rule: Despite being built only since 2019 it is using the old lower stem up to 2017. You cannot use risers or such on the M bars- they will not fit. If you want to convert the B75 to H it is probably more economical to directly buy a H3E as stems are expensive and the B75 lacks some of the more modern components of the actual standard models (which leads to the cheaper price). Also you should bei aware that you cannot upgrade the 3-speed BSR to 6-speed. You would need to buy a BWR-hub for that (not available with the B75 from factory. The B75 seems thus to be a suboptimal choice for you.

I recently ordered an Aberhallo stem raiser (mine is branded Satori) from eBay... it arrived here (UK) in less than 2 weeks from Taiwan. Sturdy bit of kit. I’m using it on a recumbent but forgot I was thinking of my S-type Brommie as well.

Kell

Veteran
If the B75 is too low for you there’s not a huge amount you can do on the cheap.

As @berlinonaut mentions, while many Brompton look similar, they are in fact subtlety different in many awkward ways.

The H-type manages to achieve a higher handle bar height because the stem is longer. However, to ensure that the bars don’t then scrape on the ground when they’re folded, the fold is higher up the stem.

Depending on how often you fold your bike up, there may be a solution in which you use a stem riser that has quick release bolts. In this way, you can undo those and then move the bars down before folding so they don’t drag on the floor.

Lots of people have modded their bikes in lots of unusual ways. Some of it is trial and error, and some is blind faith.

You might try pushing your seat further back or further forward to see how that affects your reach before messing about changing bars.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Depending on how often you fold your bike up, there may be a solution in which you use a stem riser that has quick release bolts. In this way, you can undo those and then move the bars down before folding so they don’t drag on the floor.
While AberHallo and other risers work on the S-bars as to my knowledge they don't with the M-bars (due to the shape of the clamp area of the bars). Plus that the M-Bar/stem-combination won't fold with highered bars. So apart from the dark wood of experiments there is basically the option to switch to an H stem or to go the way of the dutch conversion that we've been talking about a couple of weeks ago. The H-stem is way more economical, the more if the B76 has not yet been bought because then it is possible to switch it for an H model Brompton.

Top Bottom