I hope I can motivate beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine’s a similar tale.

I‘ve been very regular at the gym, and play field hockey during the season. Despite that, my weight crept up to 16 stones (I’m 5’ 10”), making me obese on the BMI calculator.

At the start of May, I decided to see how long the morning commute to school would be by bike, so dug out the old Saracen Vice. 33 minutes - not too bad, and only a couple of rest stops (the journey is uphill all the way). I started going out more regularly on the Vice, recording my journeys on Strava.

I took the plunge and got a new bike at the start of July - another MTB, but with lockable front suspension only. It’s revolutionised my cycling - doing the same routes as before, I’m finding the hills easier and the flats faster.

I‘m now sub-15 stone, dropping out of the obese category. The school commute is under 16 minutes, and I’m doing 30+ km most days, often topping 50. Best of all, the BMI calculator lets me pick ‘active’ for my exercise level - 60 to 150 minutes per week. I’m doing that daily now.

Hello, I still class myself as a beginner but I am very proud of my progress and I hope that I can help motivate other beginners with my story so far. I have been overweight and lazy for a long time, hardly any exercise for years... then lockdown started. Now I have tried going to the gym, swimming and running in the past but it never lasted more than a few weeks so I decided to buy myself a cycke bike and so my story beggings. April 2020 in lockdown I decide to buy a bike, do some press ups, sit ups and crunches at home everyday and completely change my diet. I joined this fourm which I have gained so much information, help and motivation from the people of this fourm. I decided that cycling 10 miles a day five to six days a week was my starting point, I weighed 104 kilos and was very unfit so this was a challange. When you first start cycling its hard, my bum really hurt, my legs were sore and my fitness was bad so dont over do it and make sure you take your rest! I was averaging around 9 mph when I started in April so I was cycling for a little over an hour a day, now I average around 14.5 mph and thats on a 15 mile cycle which I now do six times a week. I am now into my 4th month of cycling, my fittness its the best it has been in years I have lost 18 kilos (I am currently 88 kilos) and most importantly I've found something I can commit to and I enjoy. I will be taking park in my first charity cycle on 13th September the London to Brighton ride which is a 55 mile cycle and I hope to raise as much money as I can for Great Ormond street hospital. So believe me if i can do it anyone can, if I can offer and help or advice ill be happy to. I hope this motivates you to achieving your goals, anything is possible.
Good stuff, hope you enjoy L2B :okay:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I am 34, will be 35 in September.
35 is a good age to start getting fit. You've lost the indistructability of youth, but you've not reached middle age yet.

I never got overweight, but was carrying some pounds I didn't need to. I also found I could no longer dance up hills at the speed I could previously. So at about the same age as you I started riding into work every day. Now i'm fitter than I have ever been.

I hope your story rings true for a lot of people over lockdown. I've certainly seen many more people running and cycling past our house than normal.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was about that age when I did the L2B. It was a great day out and was a kick start to get me going again after a few quiet years with young children. Can't believe it is 32 yrs since my last L2B. Memories are still very vivid. Particularly of the ride back.

Good luck if it takes place.
37 years since my first!!!
I've done numerous since on various Road-bikes, Brompton and 3 speed BSA shopper! It's a great day-out if you treat it as a celebration on 2 wheels and understand it'll take the best part of the day.
God I feel old....

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Yes I'm looking forward to the L2B I should be able to manage it. Ive recently added insanity work outs into my exercises really hard and intense but very rewarding, I'm still not back to work yet as the government will still not allow us to open so I'm still cycling six days a week and my goal of 80 kilos is still possible I'm currently 88 kilos.

whitesix

Regular
I know where you're coming from. I've just completed my 12th 35 minute ride; Still hurting for me; still not really enjoying it; but must persevere and hopefully it will eventually become a lot better. But, do have about 30 years on you. It would appear to be a long hard road (literally) until one gets up to speed! All the best to you, but I would still take it relatively easy to avoid burn out, but what do I know.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Well done.
Let us know your "Just Giving" page, might be able to find a couple of pence for a good cause.

Ahh there you are, thank you so much for supporting me with your donation. Im going strong, just completed my daily 15 mile cycle. Im really looking forward to the L2B ride ^_^ thanks alot.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Screenshot_20200808-110306_MapMyRide.jpg
Screenshot_20200808-154049_MapMyRide.jpg

Preparing hard.

MartyR68

Hello, I still class myself as a beginner but I am very proud of my progress and I hope that I can help motivate other beginners with my story so far. I have been overweight and lazy for a long time, hardly any exercise for years... then lockdown started. Now I have tried going to the gym, swimming and running in the past but it never lasted more than a few weeks so I decided to buy myself a cycke bike and so my story beggings. April 2020 in lockdown I decide to buy a bike, do some press ups, sit ups and crunches at home everyday and completely change my diet. I joined this fourm which I have gained so much information, help and motivation from the people of this fourm. I decided that cycling 10 miles a day five to six days a week was my starting point, I weighed 104 kilos and was very unfit so this was a challange. When you first start cycling its hard, my bum really hurt, my legs were sore and my fitness was bad so dont over do it and make sure you take your rest! I was averaging around 9 mph when I started in April so I was cycling for a little over an hour a day, now I average around 14.5 mph and thats on a 15 mile cycle which I now do six times a week. I am now into my 4th month of cycling, my fittness its the best it has been in years I have lost 18 kilos (I am currently 88 kilos) and most importantly I've found something I can commit to and I enjoy. I will be taking park in my first charity cycle on 13th September the London to Brighton ride which is a 55 mile cycle and I hope to raise as much money as I can for Great Ormond street hospital. So believe me if i can do it anyone can, if I can offer and help or advice ill be happy to. I hope this motivates you to achieving your goals, anything is possible.
Great Post 👍🏻. I've just joined the forum today and recently bought myself a bike. Like yourself I've been out of shape for last few years and want to get fit again and also get into using cycling to get around. Hope to be able to be doing what you have 😁🚴‍♂️👍🏻.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Great Post 👍🏻. I've just joined the forum today and recently bought myself a bike. Like yourself I've been out of shape for last few years and want to get fit again and also get into using cycling to get around. Hope to be able to be doing what you have 😁🚴‍♂️👍🏻.
You can do it, its mainly to do what what you are eating so you need to master that. Cycling helps alot anf gets you fit, you just need to stick to it.

Top Bottom