I just bought a bottom bracket but it won't go in...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hope someone can offer advice or a parts spec...

I bought a BB from a parts shop online - before doing so I measured the width, and then I got them to find the axle length of the crankset I was also buying. So far so good.

It arrived today and although the threads are fine, the BB won't go into the shell because the rivet that mounts the cable guide to the underside of the BB shell, pokes through the shell and to about 3 mm inside. There's no way the BB is going past that.

It's an old 80s Raleigh frame.

Does anyone know of a BB that gets around this problem, or conversely, how do you get a pop rivet out of a piece of metal? (I don't need it - single speed.)

Thanks

BB

curzons246

Veteran
Does anyone know of a BB that gets around this problem, or conversely, how do you get a pop rivet out of a piece of metal? (I don't need it - single speed.)

Pop rivets are generally aluminium so can easily be removed by drilling the head off. Cheers Bill.

BB[/QUOTE]

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Drilling it out should be pretty straightforward. Use a biggish bit - 6mm or so? - and the head should come off. Then push the rest of the rivet in and it should just fall out.

EDIT Dammit - too slow! :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bonsaibilly

Are you a man? :headshake:

I have now actually found the drill although I generally find my life not requiring one.

How long should one expect to take to drill out a rivet? So far, it's not going anywhere...

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The rivet could be spinning in it's hole. It should only take a few seconds to drill out an aluminium rivet.
Last resort - chisel off the protruding part of the rivet. Either inside or outside the BB.

tyred

Legendary Member
You shouldn't need to drill it out completely. Use a bit slightly larger than the diameter of the rivet and once the head comes off the rest of the rivet will usually just tap through the hole from the outside. Use a hammer and nail to do this.

The only thing that can go wrong is if the part that pulls the river tight doesn't snap off below the head as it should do when it was installed. It is difficult to drill it then but the steel shank will almost always hammer easily below the surface.

OP
OP
B

bonsaibilly

Sorted now, thanks - after a bit of drilling,I found the solution was to nudge a small flat head screwdriver under the head and get with the hammer.

bb

Top Bottom