I just don't know what lights to buy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Ok, so the rain this morning was so bad that I didn't see the pothole lurking beneath the surface of the puddle and I came a cropper. Went pinging over the front end and ruined not only my knee but my snug tights - thery are now sporting a huge hole, as is my knee. Feeling sorry for myself and in need of cheering I went to Evans and bought this beaty http://www.evanscycles.com/products/exposure/diablo-front-light-ec020464

700 lumens of 'you've got no excuse for not seeing me now mate'.

What sore knee ;)

rusky

CC Addict
I have a 900lm (probably closer to 600lm) light on the handlebar & while it screams 'you've got no excuse for not seeing me now mate', they still don't see me!

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
I can highly recommend the Exposure Diablo. Although it cost a smidge over £200 it was money well spent. The ride home on Friday was superb - I chose an unlit cycle path that runs a few miles of shared use bridleway and the immense amount of light allowed me to spank it home at top speed. I had plenty of time to react to dogs, walkers, runners etc. The lowest setting is more than enough to ride at a decent speed but when cranked up to full 700 lumens it's like a tube of private daylight. I mounted it onto my helmet which for me is now the best way to ride. Having it stuck on my head allows me to redirect the beam to as not to blind other road/path users, it's also pretty cool to see the light bobbing up and down when I stand up to hump up hills.

Looking forward to the ride home tonight. Although it's pretty obvious you're going to have a better ride with a great big beam - I never actually thought how liberating it would be. I have the freedom of the night, what took me so long?

beancounter

I've had the Hope Vision 2 for a couple of months and was very pleased with it........

......until it failed last week.

Sent it back to CRC who've sent it back to Hope.

So no longer very pleased.

bc

Old timer

Über Member
As a newbie I didn`t realise the technology that goes into things like lighting! a far stretch from my younger days of cycling with the old ever ready lights. Of course I realise that lights now days are more than just lighting the road but more about being seen in these days of highly lit fast lunatic car drivers. After moving up from push bikes to motorbikes in my younger days has made me fully aware of two wheeled users on the road. The country spends millions on non smoking adds but you see very few adds protecting two wheeled users. I feel that these flashing lights are probably one of the best attempts to draw attention to yourself but still on a wet windy winters night cycle lights easily get lost in the traffic.

Dave

Top Bottom