I just don't know what lights to buy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
I'm looking at spending up to £120 for a good front light but the more I read - the more options are available thus making me further away from a decision. xx(

There are loads of well known uber brands like Hope and Cateye etc but then there are a million other overseas companies which seem to offer a bigger, better, brighter and cheaper light but usually requires waiting for an age for delivery. Maybe I'm just being too sceptical

There's a pretty cool one called the Minewt but doesn't come near the output of the less expensive ones. God, it was easier for me to choose which bike I wanted to buy.

The thing is, I'm impatient and I want one now - there's an Evans right accross the road and this money is starting to burn a hole....

Any recommendations please??

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hope Vision 1s don't cost anything like £120. They can easily be got for £70. There are of course many better lights than that...

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Yeah, I've been looking at them, but they're not rechargable are they? I'm after a rechargable set. I think. Do you use Visions 1?

marinyork

Brahan said:
Yeah, I've been looking at them, but they're not rechargable are they? I'm after a rechargable set. I think. Do you use Visions 1?

Yes, I have two Hope Vision 1s. They take 4xAAs and have a mount that is fairly difficult for the light to fly off due to vibrations on descents (yet it can be detached in a couple of seconds). These were the reasons I bought it. The batteries seem to last longer than what Hope claim they do too. There are four settings on the Hope Vision one, the 4th is pretty bright. The lower two settings seem to last forever. Use Maplin recharbeable batteries with them. Been a very good partnership so far.

Previously had a cateye rechargeable that was a pile of rubbish (and had 3xAAAs secretly built in and taped together). The thing just didn't have the claimed battery life and would fly off going downhill.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Ok so now I'm trying to work out though is whether it's worth spending £140 on two lights. I'll be using them every day for about an hour and a half and probably on full power as there are no street lamps, just total darkness. I don't really fancy having to put new batteries in every couple of days.

marinyork

Ayups if you're insistent on rechargeable system. In my opinion they aren't twice as good as the Hope 1s though. The Luu someone I know has is pretty insane. Or you could always import Dinottes. Just don't buy a cateye single shot whatever you do.

thomas

the tank engine
marinyork said:
Just don't buy a cateye single shot whatever you do.

I've got a singleshot and it is a pretty nice, compact rechargable light. It probably isn't suitable if you go on roads without street lighting if you want to carry on cycling as if it's light out, but it does show up the ground nicely. Most of the time I only need a light to be seen and it does look nice and bright from the distance so people can't have an excuse not to see you!

GrasB

Veteran
Problem is not many people have actually lived with various lights for a long time. I really liked the Hope 1, I used one for 3 weeks, it's a very nice light & the AA batteries make it really good for dashing into the shop if you absolutely need to get a set of batteries, I'd recommend getting one.

However I plumed for a Exposure joystick so at least one of my lights sets is operated from one button, I have a red eye. The Joystick is very good & is good on its run time when just powering the internal LED. Unfortunately it only manages to last about 1h 45m with the rear light & me switching between low & high! I may well dump my cateye front light for a Hope 1 which then leaves me with a small 1 LED (CE approved) cheap flashing light for backup (I think it may be another cateye). I paid about £180 for a Joystick lanyard, quick release mount & the redeye, it's a fair amount of money but I know I can be seen a mile off.

jethro10

Über Member
Brahan said:
I'll be using them every day for about an hour and a half and probably on full power as there are no street lamps, just total darkness. I don't really fancy having to put new batteries in every couple of days.

Exactly my problem. totally unlit roads, and wanting them to last a long time.
I got a Niteflux visionstick, 4W LED bulb, very bright, cars dip for me!
I got the enduro version, comes with a rechargeable battery looks like a pump, that fits on a bracket provided by the bottle cage.

http://www.niteflux.com/Products_photon4Enduro.aspx

6 hours full beam, 24 hours low beam. The bottle holder bracker can take a second battery so you can double your time.

£95 I thin kit was, about 3 months ago

Jeff

marinyork

thomas said:
I've got a singleshot and it is a pretty nice, compact rechargable light. It probably isn't suitable if you go on roads without street lighting if you want to carry on cycling as if it's light out, but it does show up the ground nicely. Most of the time I only need a light to be seen and it does look nice and bright from the distance so people can't have an excuse not to see you!

The singleshot is all of those things. But I paid for it not a million miles what I paid for the Hope Vision 1. I used to think that it was a good excuse not to not see much but I seem to have had fewer SMIDSYs since the Hope 1 arrived. Quite a lot infact. The singleshot is just overpriced to me, that and the bracket leading to the light always wanting to commit suicide.

StuartG

slower but further
Elsewhere in CC I have plugged the Cree bulbed bargain torches from DealeXtreme. Cost me £18 delivered, powered by 2xAA and on the last FNNRttC was the brightest light around. Lights up the whole lane!

Of course simple on/off, no modes and relatively short battery life. But if you use rechargeables and have a pair handy that's no problem and very cheap. I lashed mine to the bars with a couple of jubilee clips. At this price you can afford two which should outpace anything this side of £200, probably weighs less and not a tragedy if it gets broken/stolen (the build quality is very solid).

To stay legal and avoid wasting juice when in well lit areas I have the usual flashing Cateseye as well.

+1 for Hope Vision 1. Like you I really wanted a light yesterday but waited until the bike show and had a good look at the Hope's and Exposure lights.
Given the choice with money not a factor I would have had the Exposure Strada. The reason being that whilst it seems great at first to dazzle car drivers and make them dip, with many of these high lumen output lights, you are still dazzling them. Not just cars either.
The Strada is designed for road use having main beam and dip. I still like the Hope though and when out on the dark lanes I only need to run it on the second setting [med] and this will last 12hrs on rechargeables.
Hope[excuse pun] this helps.

thomas

the tank engine
marinyork said:
The singleshot is all of those things. But I paid for it not a million miles what I paid for the Hope Vision 1. I used to think that it was a good excuse not to not see much but I seem to have had fewer SMIDSYs since the Hope 1 arrived. Quite a lot infact. The singleshot is just overpriced to me, that and the bracket leading to the light always wanting to commit suicide.

I got it after my Mum got one. I wasn't sure what light to get and I was reasonably impressed with it so decided it was easier to buy something I've seen in action than risk getting something I haven't.

I think most cateye lights are probably a bit over priced! I just use an exisiting cat eye clamp and haven't had any issues with it wanting to jump off (though I have with previous lights from cat eye!!).

If I was to get a new one again I would be tempted to go for something else, possibly. Ultimatley, when I'm out of UNI and working full time. Assuming I commute daily to work by bike than I will probably invest in some Ay Ups as I've just heard so many good things about them.

Top Bottom