Lights for Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrimUpNorth

Hi

I need to get some lights for my sons bike. He'll be riding on the A2043 between New Malden and Worcester Park (for anyone who knows the road) in the evening over the next few months, so a bit of traffic.

I'm purely into off road so not up to speed on road lights, but a quick look and I found these -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285483952776

I saw a couple of people recommend Planetx Dog Star's but I think I'm right in saying now is not the time to buy as they are 15 quid and they often go down to a tenner.

Don't want to spend too much....but then its for the lad so can't be too cheap!

Oh and is a helmet light sensible?

Thanks

Gwylan

Veteran
Given the location, I assume it will be being seen not seeing.

Aldi currently have small front and rear flashing lights for about £3. Replaceable 2025 or similar batteries.
Hi Vis, reflective jacket might be good too. I have a Decathlon one that does the biz.
Also have a tabard with flashing red led pattern on the back. Think it's meant for runners but excellent in country lanes around me.

Sharky

Guru
+1 for reflective stuff.

Slap bands on the ankles are extremely effective and visible.
Need to weighup the pros and cons of batteries vs rechargeble lights. With the latter, you have to remember to recharge them. If your son is not a regular cyclist, he could go to his bike in the evening and find that the battery has gone flat. Lights which take removeable batteries (which can be rechargeable ones) are easy to carry spares for, or to pop into a shop to get new ones. When I was a regular commuter, I would always have two lights on the front and two on the rear.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi

I need to get some lights for my sons bike. He'll be riding on the A2043 between New Malden and Worcester Park (for anyone who knows the road) in the evening over the next few months, so a bit of traffic.

I'm purely into off road so not up to speed on road lights, but a quick look and I found these -

I saw a couple of people recommend Planetx Dog Star's but I think I'm right in saying now is not the time to buy as they are 15 quid and they often go down to a tenner.

Thanks

Know the road well, not too far, fully lit and there’s a bike Lane the whole way. Be seen lights fine. I like moon lights, merlin have some deals. Can avoid the main road if happy with a longer ride by using the beeline path depending on where in NM and the 75

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Thanks for the replies.

Just popped down to Aldi and aside from the rather fetching crocks, they had these for a fiver. They are battery. For the price I could double them up, but I'm just a little wary...for some reason.

lights.jpg

They did have some reflective jackets so I'll take him own to try one of those.

Gwylan

Veteran
We h
Thanks for the replies.

Just popped down to Aldi and aside from the rather fetching crocks, they had these for a fiver. They are battery. For the price I could double them up, but I'm just a little wary...for some reason.

View attachment 707857

They did have some reflective jackets so I'll take him own to try one of those.

We have those in the right of your picture. Silly price. Simple, reasonable battery life on flash. Battery changing is an indoor job.
Have spare set in the bike box at that price.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have USB rechargeable ones on all my bikes. I got into the habit of charging them every couple of trips. This is far more often than they need charging but it means they never run out. Whether it's rechargeable or not, it doesn't stop the rear light from running out when you don't know about it.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Bike Lights Front and Back 1200 Lumen Powerful LED Bike Light Set USB Rechargeable Bicycle Lights Anti-Glare Beam Security Cycling Lights IP65 Waterproof MTB Cycle Lights Mountain Bike Accessories https://amzn.eu/d/2XXIGVR

KTEBO Rechargeable Bike Lights Front and Back with Electric Bell Set, LED Ultra Bright Bicycle Lights, Road Mountain Bike Accessories for kids Adults https://amzn.eu/d/7QY8JhY

Hi

Thanks

I like NiteRider Swifts https://road.cc/content/review/252199-niterider-swift-500-front-light

Fairly cheap and really bright with two of them (an older 400 and a newer 500) on full beam they are good enough for unlit rural roads and on flashing in town they last for ages.

Gunk

Guru
Hi

Thanks

They’re far too much, try Decathlon.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I often recommend the usb rechargeable lights that Lidl sometimes sell. Picked up 2 sets (a tenner each) for my children last week, so worth looking if they're still available.

1000005990.jpg

I've used them for years of winter commuting, both in London but also on rural dark lanes.

They're excellent value for money, reliable and have a shaped beam to avoid dazzling others, although i angle it upwards when offroad.

Their bean has two elements, a nearby wide flood and a more distant spot, both of which are visible in the pic below,.taken Mon evening on a bridleway.

My only criticism is the spot being slightly narrow for high speed pitch-black descents, but that's not an issue for urban commuting.

1000005976.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran
I often recommend the usb rechargeable lights that Lidl sometimes sell. Picked up 2 sets (a tenner each) for my children last week, so worth looking if they're still available.

View attachment 709641
I've used them for years of winter commuting, both in London but also on rural dark lanes.

They're excellent value for money, reliable and have a shaped beam to avoid dazzling others, although i angle it upwards when offroad.

Their bean has two elements, a nearby wide flood and a more distant spot, both of which are visible in the pic below,.taken Mon evening on a bridleway.

My only criticism is the spot being slightly narrow for high speed pitch-black descents, but that's not an issue for urban commuting.

View attachment 709634

In Aldi with a rear light too

Emanresu

I have See.sense which are probably overkill but what is the test for ‘unsuitable’ or suitable lights. Is there official guidelines out there?

Top Bottom