C&B Seen Lights - what's the next light up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans1

I've not ridden in the dark since before COVID. I used to commute 5 days a week (Gods, i was strong then...) and had a C&B Seen 1200lm front light. Absolute beastly thing, lit up the road and trail ahead of me - review of it from 2013 here.

Unfortunately, mine has gone to the great front light heaven in the sky.

C&B Seen seem to no longer exist so i'm wondering what the hell the light market looks like these days. What's standard? What's a good price? Is there something like the C&B Seen light still available?

Any help appreciated!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are still loads of these type on the market with separate packs (of dubious quality). I have a couple of C&B City Slickers, but my main lamp is now a Fenix BC30 v2 with remote. About £100, but you need to factor in batteries.

I also have a Newboller lamp - was under £15 (via Ali-express), but it has a 'cut off' - the LED is in the roof of the lamp and reflects via a reflector, so has a car type "cut off" - this is really useful for shared paths and doesn't blind other cyclists/walkers.

The Halfords 1600 light is well regarded for not too much money.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

There are still loads of these type on the market with separate packs (of dubious quality). I have a couple of C&B City Slickers, but my main lamp is now a Fenix BC30 v2 with remote. About £100, but you need to factor in batteries.

I also have a Newboller lamp - was under £15 (via Ali-express), but it has a 'cut off' - the LED is in the roof of the lamp and reflects via a reflector, so has a car type "cut off" - this is really useful for shared paths and doesn't blind other cyclists/walkers.

I'm quite out of touch with it; last time i bought lights it was batteries all round, no such thing as USB chargeable things. The Halfords 1800 at £60 looks the trick, but would need to see it in store to see if it's any good at lighting things up... which sounds stupid, but before i had the C&B Seen light i'd never had a light actually light things up for me! Cheers Fossyant.

Alex321

Veteran

They dion't seem to do that one any more. The nearest current equivalent is the 1800 in the Halfords Advance brand https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...anced-1800-lumen-front-bike-light-693718.html

I had the 1600 one, but it wouldn't hold a charge any more after 2 years of use.

I spent a bit more and bought the Ravemen PR1600 from Merlin, and so far am very pleased with it, with a good chunk of my commute being on very rural small roads.

Seevio

Guru
I have the halfords 1800 light. While I treat it as a rechargeable usb light, the batteries are removable and halfords sell spare/replacement batteries.
2023-11-0615.35.107248138686355934677.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

I had the 1600 one, but it wouldn't hold a charge any more after 2 years of use.

I spent a bit more and bought the Ravemen PR1600 from Merlin, and so far am very pleased with it, with a good chunk of my commute being on very rural small roads.

Were you able to get Halfords to replace the 1600? Was it still within warranty?

The Ravemen looks decent like. My work commute comprises 60% on road ride including ~4mi of unlit country roads (where being able to be seen would be a bonus) and then 40% unlit coastal, gravel cycle path where the ability to see things would be of benefit.

Having owned a 'good' light i know the mantra of buy cheap, buy twice and i'm very much a shrewd buyer of kit.

With that in mind i think, genuinely, my upper limit for a front light is probably about £70 new.

Alex321

Veteran
Were you able to get Halfords to replace the 1600? Was it still within warranty?
I didn't even think of that, TBH. But I don't think it was still within warranty.

The Ravemen looks decent like. My work commute comprises 60% on road ride including ~4mi of unlit country roads (where being able to be seen would be a bonus) and then 40% unlit coastal, gravel cycle path where the ability to see things would be of benefit.
It is very good, and on-road I really like the single button press to toggle between full beam and dipped (technically you are switching between Road mode and off-road, but that is the effect). But at £90 it isn't cheap.

Having owned a 'good' light i know the mantra of buy cheap, buy twice and i'm very much a shrewd buyer of kit.

With that in mind i think, genuinely, my upper limit for a front light is probably about £70 new.

That 1800 Halfords one is probably a good one for you. With the removable and replaceable batteries, it shouldn't suffer from the problem I had with the older 1600, you can always just replace the batteries if they start losing their charge.

fossyant

They dion't seem to do that one any more. The nearest current equivalent is the 1800 in the Halfords Advance brand https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...anced-1800-lumen-front-bike-light-693718.html

The Raveman is a good light too. Quite like that my Fenix runs low, then one dab of the remote goes to full power, than another dab back to low - really useful for unlit paths where I can go full beam, then if I see anyone, no cycling through modes, just a quick press on the remote.

fossyant

I don't think you'll beat the Halfords for £60 (less any BC discount). Replaceable batteries are the reason I went with the Fenix - just means you'll keep the lamp longer - even better with the Halfords light too.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

I don't think you'll beat the Halfords for £60 (less any BC discount). Replaceable batteries are the reason I went with the Fenix - just means you'll keep the lamp longer - even better with the Halfords light too.

Am inquiring of a friend who works there about staff discount - looks like it might be the winner for me!

I go for redundancy and have 3 smaller lights. I carry a NiteRider Swift (450/500) in conjunction with a cateye volt 500/700 most of the year and they were fine on full beam for my older commutes in the rural Newark on Trent area or the Cambridge bus way but my current commute is a bit twistier, undulating and darker (through wooded areas) so I added a 3rd degree of redundancy and now use 2 Swifts (both the 450 & 500) and a Garmin 800 UTL. I also have the Volt 700 as a head torch if needed. Apart from these few months after the clock change though, I'll just carry one Swift for emergency (I like that they've got a rubber clamp).

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

Update: i didn't think my work stocked a broad range of lights. I'd previously bought a couple of pocket-sized USB-chargeable rear lights which were decent. I didn't see anything with 'oomph' for the front. Mind you, this was last winter and I wasn't in the market for a new front light.

I was surprised to find a Moon Meteor Storm not only reduced but available with my staff discount. ~£30 it cost me and it got a ride out yesterday at dusk. Seems to fit the bill, plenty light to be had, will need to test it in the dark though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have they changed the button design on the halfords ones ? i tried one a few years ago and took it back as i couldnt change modes with gloves on.

Top Bottom